Does PayPal support fraud?

Bootstogo
Contributor
Contributor

I recently ordered something I wrong thought from London, it turned out to be China. The it was nothing like it's description. The seller insisted on return and provided an address, written in Chinese, this could not be sent via a tracking service, but was sent regardless. Now PayPal have denied my refund. As the transaction was via PayPal, they are equally responsible as the seller. PayPal have now denied the refund. There doesn't seem to be a communication method of disputing this. So I can only assume that PayPal supports fraud.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bootstogo 

Tracking has to show delivery of the item back to the seller.

Sadly best avoid these...

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bootstogo
Contributor
Contributor

I did carry out due diligence as far as practical. The address was of a shop that I was aware of. I did go through the contact information, and returns. Nothing suggested that the seller had used a legitimate address, and company registered in Companies House, to dupe people.

If PayPal support these companies they are as culpable as the company. I wrongly trusted PayPal to ensure that they do not support companies, individuals that act in a fraudulent manner. It has destroyed my trust in PayPal as a reputable company. The money is small fry compared to the principles.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bootstogo 

It would be impossible for paypal to vet every seller / merchant / website WORLDWIDE that added them as a payment option to their sites.

So they give you 'some' buyer protection and then its up to you to risk assess your own transactions.

Paypal will safely transfer the payments for you as they are a payment processor but they are not an insurance company and do not provide insurance for every transaction that you make.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bootstogo
Contributor
Contributor

If PayPal find it impossible to verify companies, then they should not enter into business with them as they are facilitating fraudulent activity. This is not a defence in law, it is classed as negligence. PayPal has a duty to ensure that they do not fraudulent activity.

Login to Me Too

Bootstogo
Contributor
Contributor

I have received an email asking me to mark one of the solutions as accepted. I cannot do this at this time as PayPal do not take responsibility for supporting companies that obviously act in a fraudulent manner. To claim ignorance is not an acceptable answer. Until PayPal accept responsibility and compensate my loss, and chase the company they facilitated to act fraudulently, there is no acceptable solution.

Login to Me Too

xILQUNx
Contributor
Contributor

In my opinion they absolutely do. I have been defrauded by Aser co. There are four pages of complaints of situations were it was a bate and switch. They sent me a broken product as well as different product from what I ordered (on the same transaction) And PayPal concluded in there favor. I would think it would be very obvious to PayPal that this vendor is committing fraud. They could easily stop any transactions from this company. I for one am closing my PayPal account and am in the process of researching a class action lawsuit against them. Tolerating fraud makes them complicit. I do not see one complaint were PayPal has ruled in the customer’s favor. By the way the company offered to give me a complete refund if I returned the product. To ad insult to injury the seller gave me about 7 days to return it to some hell hole in China even though it was sent to me from California

. It would cost more then the $65.00 it cost me for the product to ship it back.back.

Login to Me Too

Bootstogo
Contributor
Contributor

The return address supplied to me was in Chinese, therefore it was impossible to set up a tracking return. Thanks for your information.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bootstogo 

If paypal are responsible in vetting every single seller that you purchase from then i doubt that they could stay in business.

If you paid for an item using your bank account does your bank vet every seller? No because they give limited protection !

If you paid for an item using a credit card does your card issuer vet every seller? No because they give you again limited protection !

If you paid for an item using paypal does paypal vet every seller? No because they give you limited buyer protection !

So they ALL give you limited protection but the onus is on YOU to risk assess your own transactions and decide who you want to do business with.

Paypal is not your 'nanny' and if you make a bad choice they 'may' bail you out but they are not an insurance policy and nothing is guaranteed so you READ the terms and conditions and risk assess your sellers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Bootstogo
Contributor
Contributor

Esteemed Advisor. A bank provides certain safeguard's e.g. charge back, the bank then goes after the seller. A credit card company is equally responsible for the sale of goods, and similar to reputable banks would make recompense, and again chase the seller. It is obvious to me that PayPal operates a system that supports fraud, unlikely other reputable establishments. So your comparison falls flat on so many levels.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.