Does PayPal support fraud?

Bootstogo
Contributor
Contributor

I recently ordered something I wrong thought from London, it turned out to be China. The it was nothing like it's description. The seller insisted on return and provided an address, written in Chinese, this could not be sent via a tracking service, but was sent regardless. Now PayPal have denied my refund. As the transaction was via PayPal, they are equally responsible as the seller. PayPal have now denied the refund. There doesn't seem to be a communication method of disputing this. So I can only assume that PayPal supports fraud.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bootstogo 

Sadly not, a lot of posters on here have reported back that for whatever reasons they have been declined by bank or credit card.

In fact in my country a bank or debit card does not cover you at all.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bootstogo
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass I don't know what this has to do with the subject of PayPal's practice?

Login to Me Too

ChrisMkOz
Contributor
Contributor

You may be an esteemed advisor and a volunteer in this community, but you're being a blinkered apologist for PayPal's negligence. PayPal are trading on the PayPal product features they spruik across the web, primarily Buyer's Protection. In reality, PayPal offers far less protection than your bank will if you pay via credit card. What then is the value of their product?

Banks and other payment providers will often blacklist known scammers when an investigation identifies a pattern. PayPal have substantial resources and have been provided ample evidence that these scams are occurring, including the mode of operation. PayPal could do more to prevent these types of scams, but they don't as it's commercially viable for them to continue supporting unscrupulous sellers. In fact they actively hamper buyer negotiations by putting roadblocks throughout the resolution process and withholding information at key stages. Why don't they include a link to the Return Shipping Refund scheme on the screen prompting buyer's to provide a return shipping tracking number?

PayPal are aware of these scams, they're aware of the perpetrators and are 100% complicit in trying to eliminate the practice. There is absolutely no excuse.

Login to Me Too

Bootstogo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you ChrisMkOz, I'm glad that I am not the only one to find this with PayPal. I take it you have been stung in a similar way. As a brand PayPal has lost all credibility in my mind.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ChrisMkOz 

I am not the one that is blinkered as I don't buy and have never bought tat from these China websites or Social Media ads.

I have also read up on paypals buyer protection to see what it does and does NOT cover you for.

They do not provide insurance, they only give limited buyer and limited seller protection, the rest is up to all of us to risk assess our transactions.

And banks often do not cover you at all, and other posters have said that there credit cards have turned them down as well as again they have 'terms and conditions' and are not a 100% coverall. In my country you can't make a chargeback if you paid under £100 for a start.

And whilst you are now going to carry on arguing about this (i'm sure) and spend your time ranting about Paypal I will go and answer posts to stop folks being scammed in the first place and post the best advice possible to help them get their  money back. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bootstogo
Contributor
Contributor

@ChrisMkOz I don't know why you are attacking my response? If the company after carrying out checks appeared to be based in London at an address that I recognised, and only was revealed as a Chinese company after receipt of the tat, I'm not sure what more I could have done?

PayPal has a duty of care, and as the broker carries equal responsibility as the vendor, this is based in law. PayPal in collusion with these vendors has policies that make it impossible to challenge PayPal.

Please continue on your quest to 'educate' people, but kindly please start your own thread.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.