Does PayPal even read open cases? (Believe exchange rate of purchase is off)

Notsurewhattodo
Contributor
Contributor
I sent a dispute on an item as "billing other" because I believe the exchange rate they charged me was off and wanted to explain why I felt it was off. Maybe I added too many extra details and my point got lost, but I wanted an answer to my question. "Why was paypal charging me a 104 exchange rate when the internet says it should've been 108-109 the day I bought my item? Does paypal have an added fee on top of the regular exchange rate?" I checked google the day I bought my item and it said my item would be around $65, I realized weeks later paypal actually charged me $69. All I got as a response was something that made it seem like no one even opened my message: "After having reviewed all the details, and based on the information we have to date, we have to deny your case. This decision was made because your billing dispute doesn't match our qualification for a billing dispute."
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Notsurewhattodo 

"Why was paypal charging me a 104 exchange rate when the internet says it should've been 108-109 the day I bought my item? Does paypal have an added fee on top of the regular exchange rate?"

Huh? 104 is less than 108-109 so wouldn't that mean PayPal is charging a lower rate? Or did I get it wrong way 'round?

And yes, you never go by the posted rate from online sources because it does not include paypal's conversion fee spread %.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#currency-conversion

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Notsurewhattodo 

"Why was paypal charging me a 104 exchange rate when the internet says it should've been 108-109 the day I bought my item? Does paypal have an added fee on top of the regular exchange rate?"

Huh? 104 is less than 108-109 so wouldn't that mean PayPal is charging a lower rate? Or did I get it wrong way 'round?

And yes, you never go by the posted rate from online sources because it does not include paypal's conversion fee spread %.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#currency-conversion

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Notsurewhattodo
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for answering the question about why the price was different then I expected!
Will keep that in mind to never order using paypal for such purchases again then. 

I assumed 104 more expensive because when I took it to the calculator this is the results I got:

¥7212/104 = 69.34

¥7212/109 = 66.16

Which seemed to line up with the price differences I was experiencing.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.