Do Paypal prevent you from appealing against a decision they make ?

kidsstehop
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an item to a customer and sent it UK Mail tracked to his local click and collect depot.
UK Mail informed me the parcel was delivered and signed for by "Jones" at the click and collect shop. The delivery was sent to me.

The buyer claimed it was not received and I sent the delivery note to Paypal who now inform me that they have awarded the claim to the buyer and I must recompense him. Paypal stated the reason was that - Quote - "the proof of delivery details provided could not be verified."

I sent them a copy of the UK Mail receipt that I received, how can that be classes as not "Proof of delivery" ?

So then they tell me I can appeal, yet every time I fill in the appeal and try to send it, I am told something went wrong and I must start again. I have 10 days to appeal, do they intend refusing to accept my appeal for the next 10 days to then tell me "Sorry, you are out of time" ?

I have been a paypal customer for a long time but this has just about finished me off.  Should I spent the next few weeks visiting every forum I know of to warn everyone about Paypal and the fact that it believes a delivery company is not supplying honest and genuine proof of postage ?

Is this Paypals usual tactics to avoid and forestall making a decision ?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kidsstehop 

In the event of an item not received dispute tracking has to show delivery to the buyers paypal registered address.

As you didn't send it to the buyers paypal registered address then you had 0 seller protection and lost the claim.

Proof of delivery to a click and collect place is not delivery to the buyers address.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kidsstehop
Contributor
Contributor

I did not know that and I would wager a large proportion of users do not know.
Surely then it is irresponsible of Ebay and Paypal to casually offer other postage services such as "Click and Collect" knowing full well that the unsuspecting user will lose their cash and item if anything goes wrong. Why do they not give a warning when a user unknowingly selects click and collect and also pays a fee to the postal service for a "Signed for" delivery which it turns out is not worth it's weight in donkey droppings.

It is very unfair and very misleading, yes, no doubt you will say "Well all users are obliged to understand the user agreement" however, all drivers are also supposed to know the whole of the highway code but no one does.
It would not hurt for ebay to put a warning when such a service is selected but once again, I am assuming it is ebay protecting the buyer at all costs and hanging the seller out to dry.

I intend to make it very clear on all of my future listings exactly how out on a limb a seller is left if they use any other service than to a registered Paypal address, and I am still not sure if what ebay are doing is ethical by offering a secondary service which has no cover whatsoever by Ebay or Paypal.

But thank you for your answer

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kidsstehop 

When you start to use paypal then you should read the short section on buyer protection if you are puchasing goods OR the small section on seller protection if you are starting to sell goods.

Then you would be well aware of the requirements of seller protection and not get caught out.

You don't need to know the 'whole' of the user agreement, just the small section that is applicable to you.

Or you can come and double check on here before you ship an item.

No idea about Ebays seller protection as that is separate to Paypals, but I am presuming the buyer opened a Paypal and not an Ebay dispute as you are posting on here?

You can use whatever postal service you want as long as you send to the buyers paypal registered address.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kidsstehop
Contributor
Contributor

Then bit like buying a used car from a car dealer isn't it ?

Then Ebay advertising a service which carries no guarantee of delivery whatsoever is deception.
Yes, they offer the deliver to home address signed for, but then they also offer the Click and Collect service (signed for) which offers no delivery guarantee whatsoever.
DHL have told me they got a signature from the delivery at click and collect and they consider themselves absolved from responsibility. You are telling me (as spokesperson for Paypal because they do not want to take the responsibility of speaking to customers)  that because it was not sent to the registered address, then Pay pal will not cover it even though Paypal charged me for sending it to the alternative.
In any other industry, a warning would have to be issued to prevent that from happening "Whether a user had read the rules or not". Paypal should surely take responsibility for those customers who cannot read the rules or perhaps cannot understand the rules.

I was also asked to select an answer on this forum that I was satisfied with. Well I cant and wont do that. Why on earth would I wish to thank anyone for making excuses for a multi million pound company that uses members of the public to take their flak for them ?? I have no doubt that Paypal have some agreement somewhere which states that they are not responsible for comments posted by their "Esteemed Advisors", they win all ways round dont they?
I mean you no disrespect but it appears customers with a problem do get a chance to talk to the organ grinder do they ?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kidsstehop 

Whether you leave kudos or solution at all is entirely up to you, personally as I already have a total of over 20,000 it is really immaterial to me.

I just leave that bit at the bottom of my posts to encourage users to leave it for each other.

Secondly I can only explain HOW Paypal works, if you would prefer me to say that yes you were totally covered and will get your money back tomorrow then I am happy to do so. It would not be true but if thats what you want to hear then I will do so for you.

I do not defend paypal and none of my replies to you have done so, I have just told you how paypal works.

I DO NOT say whether I agree or disagree with their policies as that wouldn't change a thing.

However you can't blame paypal for doing EXACTLY what they say they will do in their seller protection policy that you didn't bother to read.

If you want the organ grinder then you would need to contact customer services.

If you post to a 'user to user' COMMUNITY advice forum then you are going to get a 'user' giving up their time to try and help you.

But don't worry you are on the list to not get any help from me in the future if you should post again, so that should please you.

Bye.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.