Do I have to Escalate to a Claim in order to recieve a refund?

Lilyrosebea
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, I recently opened a couple of refund requests for items not recieved. Paypal has emailed me saying if the sellers didn't respond, I had to escalate to a claim within 20 days, or the cases would be closed automatically. However, one of the cases has been closed after the 20-day period and it says "the case was decided in your favor". Does that mean I will recieve a refund? I didn't escalate. Should I escalate the other refund request that is still open?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lilyrosebea 

It depends.

If a case was opened and it was the seller's turn to respond but they didn't and they let it lapse past the 20 days of the dispute phase with no escalation, then the case will close in your favor as no contest. Responding in a timely manner is part of maintaining seller AND buyer protection. 

Say if it was your turn to respond and the seller's offer/response was unacceptable, you'd have to respond or escalate for PayPal to step in and help. PayPal will review the case and ask each party for additional info and make a ruling to decide who wins. See how that works?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Lilyrosebea
Contributor
Contributor
Ah I didn't know that! That's helpful, thanks. I can see now that the open case says that there's a 'message from seller (1)' but when I click on that, nothing happens. How do I view the message from the seller? Is it because I'm trying to view it on a mobile? Should I open it on a desktop instead? Thanks! 🙂
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Lilyrosebea,

You may need to log in on a browser to see the full details of your case. If it is still showing as a dispute you would need to escalate it before 20 days pass. You will see that option when you open the dispute case. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.