Disputing A Missing Tophatter Purchase...

ShadowLady
Contributor
Contributor

I recently purchased a small item on Tophatter through their auctions.  A pretty little purple bridal ring set.  I paid on the 11th of November and patiently awaited it's arrival.  As others here may know, the exact date for things to arrive is not possible from China, more of a window of time for delivery.

At any rate, with the holidays going on, I wasn't watching for my item like a hawk, per usual, and it arrived, supposedly on November the 28th, this week.  I KNOW it was not in my mail for the delivery that day, since I grabbed all that was in my mailbox after the mail deliverer had walked off.  There was only regular paper mail inside my mailbox.  I didn't automatically think my item wasn't there, since I wasn't certain on an exact date for it to arrive. 

I get a Tophatter email asking me to give my item a review, like they always send around a day after items get here, so I was confused on why I had received nothing in my mail.  It is always a tiny, white envelope for jewelry when it is sent from China, so it is also ALWAYS put in the mailbox with the rest of my regular mail.  But this time it was different.  I was alerted to leave feedback, but nothing arrived, although the tracking showed it had been delivered, supposedly.  No one had brought it to me from the neighborhood, since it obviously wouldn't be their's as it had MY address on the envelope.  So I imagine it got dropped at the wrong house and they decided to just keep it instead of bringing it to me at my house, where it belonged.

I tried to talk to Tophatter a few times and they keep saying that they can't refund me, since the tracking shows that it was supposedly delivered, so I have just attempted to dispute it with PayPal.  How likely am I to get my refund this way?  Does anyone know?  Or am I stuck paying for nothing?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ShadowLady wrote:

I recently purchased a small item on Tophatter through their auctions.  A pretty little purple bridal ring set.  I paid on the 11th of November and patiently awaited it's arrival.  As others here may know, the exact date for things to arrive is not possible from China, more of a window of time for delivery.

At any rate, with the holidays going on, I wasn't watching for my item like a hawk, per usual, and it arrived, supposedly on November the 28th, this week.  I KNOW it was not in my mail for the delivery that day, since I grabbed all that was in my mailbox after the mail deliverer had walked off.  There was only regular paper mail inside my mailbox.  I didn't automatically think my item wasn't there, since I wasn't certain on an exact date for it to arrive. 

I get a Tophatter email asking me to give my item a review, like they always send around a day after items get here, so I was confused on why I had received nothing in my mail.  It is always a tiny, white envelope for jewelry when it is sent from China, so it is also ALWAYS put in the mailbox with the rest of my regular mail.  But this time it was different.  I was alerted to leave feedback, but nothing arrived, although the tracking showed it had been delivered, supposedly.  No one had brought it to me from the neighborhood, since it obviously wouldn't be their's as it had MY address on the envelope.  So I imagine it got dropped at the wrong house and they decided to just keep it instead of bringing it to me at my house, where it belonged.

I tried to talk to Tophatter a few times and they keep saying that they can't refund me, since the tracking shows that it was supposedly delivered, so I have just attempted to dispute it with PayPal.  How likely am I to get my refund this way?  Does anyone know?  Or am I stuck paying for nothing?

PayPal may not find in your favor if tracking says it was delivered. If they don't, PayPal would be following their Buyer and seller protection policy. You can contact your local Post Office as they have the ability to drill down to the GPS location via Google Maps where the delivery scan was made. In most cases they can pull up a picture of the mailbox it was delivered to via Google. Have the tracking number handy.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ShadowLady
Contributor
Contributor

I planned on calling them this morning.  Don't have much faith in our postal service.  This would not be the first time that I had something delivered to the wrong house and they were no help.  But, fortunately, it was with Amazon last time and they will resend or refund, even if it says it was delivered, since mis-deliveries do happen.

Login to Me Too

ShadowLady
Contributor
Contributor

I found out from our local post office that there was no name or full address on my envelope, so they had to return it to sender.  This changes things even more.  I will be receiving a copy of a printout showing that there was no name or address, so the seller was the one who failed.  Am I more likely to get my refund now?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.