Disputes

Joliver1
Contributor
Contributor
I just signed up for PayPal today (Feb 21 2021) and was scammed by a woman who I sent $25 to through PayPal when I tried to file for a dispute, the only option it gave me was for unauthorized transactions, so I continued on and now PayPal said it wasnt unauthorized and closed it. I need to speak with someone about reopening the claim and letting me change the reason.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Joliver1 

If the only option you had was 'unauthorised' then it doesn't sound as if you purchased anything but sent a 'gift' of money using the friends/family option and not a payment for an item using the goods/services option???

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Joliver1 

If the only option you had was 'unauthorised' then it doesn't sound as if you purchased anything but sent a 'gift' of money using the friends/family option and not a payment for an item using the goods/services option???

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Joliver1
Contributor
Contributor
I appreciate that insight. I'm brand new to PayPal and this was literally my first "transaction". Luckily enough for me, I only lost $25.00, I can chalk that up
Login to Me Too

mebinpunnasseri
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar situation but slight different. I sent money to a person without marking friends and family and lately known that was a scam. As I was new user I selected unauthorized access even there was other options. Now when I check the status of the case its showing no unauthorized activity found and case closed and no option to reopen or change the case. Is there any chance of getting refund in this case as the transaction was not friends & family. I lost 100 Euro.

Thanks in advance considering the time to help me.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mebinpunnasseri 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say what happened then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.