Disputes Charge a Fee to Sellers?

Dave_247
Contributor
Contributor

From my understanding, a seller/merchant really doesn't like it when a buyer opens a dispute or submits a problem with a payment when they have their own initial support system that they want to instead direct people through, which is fair enough but as I've always understood it that there is some other penalty for the seller as well such as a fee? 

To give a bit of context to the question is a story that happened to me just recently. I was making a digital purchase one a website from a large company that has PayPal set up as a slaternate payment method. The problem arose when I somehow managed to encounter the rare issue where PayPal charged me for the transaction, but in the final part of the transaction it errored and did not properly complete. Thus I ended up charged for something I didn't get.

The website in question doesn't have a online ticketing system (which would of been my first stop) and instead only a contact number to ring up, but the office was currently closed and I had other tasks I had to attend to, so I figured why not submit a problem with the Payment in PayPal now so that when I ring them up later it would be easier for them to find the transaction in question, if they haven't even looked at it already.

In the end I did ring up and had it all sorted out straight away, with the resolution being the seller issues a refund through PayPal, though they mention how they'd prefer for me not to do that again in the future as it costs them a fee. Though, I wonder had I not opened a dispute I assume they would have still needed to issue the refund through PayPal regardless, so that leads me to the conclusion that a dispute ticket changes some sort of fee to the seller? Is that right and why so many sellers prefer to handle sorting payment issues outside of PayPal?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dave_247 

All i can think of is that if a seller gets a lot of complaints / chargebacks / disputes then paypal may place limitations on their paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dave_247 

They would only pay an extra fee if the buyer opened a dispute directly via their credit card company IF they funded their paypal payment that way and did not open a paypal dispute.

If they did that then the seller would pay the card companies fee as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dave_247
Contributor
Contributor

You mean a chargeback? Wouldn't that get your Paypal account locked or even terminated though?

@kernowlass wrote:

They would only pay an extra fee if the buyer opened a dispute directly via their credit card company IF they funded their paypal payment that way and did not open a paypal dispute.

If they did that then the seller would pay the card companies fee as well.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dave_247 

Why? Paypal say this.........

Dispute with us or your card issuer

Applicable card chargeback rights may be different than PayPal’s Buyer Protection Policy.

You must choose whether to pursue a dispute with PayPal under our Buyer Protection Policy, or to pursue the dispute with your card issuer. You can’t do both at the same time or seek a double recovery. If you pursue a dispute/claim with us and you also pursue a dispute for the same transaction with your card issuer, we’ll close your dispute/claim with us.  This won’t affect the dispute process with your card issuer.  In addition, if you pursue a dispute with your card issuer, you cannot pursue a dispute/claim with us later.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dave_247
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass Ah ok thanks for that.

Going back on topic though, so there's no penalty of any kind to a seller for a buyer opening a dispute against them? Why is it then that sellers still don't like you doing so and would prefer to deal with any issues completely outside of PayPal, and not in conjunction with? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dave_247 

All i can think of is that if a seller gets a lot of complaints / chargebacks / disputes then paypal may place limitations on their paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dave_247
Contributor
Contributor

I think that's pretty reasonable so thanks for taking the time to answer my question. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.