Disputed Transactions, Chargeback for Donation to PayPal Verified Non-Profit

00Samm
New Community Member

We had a couple donate twice to us in February. Each donation was made in memory of someone, complete with the address to send the acknowledgement card to. We sent them a thank you email, sent the donation acknowledgement cards, and published their donation in our newsletter to thank them, and now, three months later, they are disputing the donations with an "Unauthorized Transaction" claim. In the first dispute, I just issued a refund, because I figured it'd be simpler to just do that and be done with it. But then I got an email from PayPal saying the the case was closed, the money was refunded AND there was a $20.00 chargeback fee. Now they're disputing the other donation. I sent PayPal screenshots of the donations including the memorial information given. I don't really have an issue refunding the money they've donated, but being charged $20.00 every time someone disputes a donation adds up quickly, and now we're having to use other donated funds to cover their chargebacks.

Is there anything I can do in this situation to avoid the chargeback fee?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

irishis
Contributor
Contributor

We just had someone make a recurring donation of $5 a month. 4 days later it was disputed. What could I do she said it wasn't authorized, so I didn't dispute she got her $5 back and we just got charged $20. This is not cool. We didn't have any other option for a donation, it's not like they bought an item or a service we should not be penalized. I am hoping to hear something back or this goes to social media.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.