Disputed Purchase from China, Return in Limbo

KurtZempel
New Community Member

Hello -

At the beginning of February I purchased 4 pair of pants from a company in China, paying through PayPal for the peace of mind of purchase protection.  Two of the items were not at all as described by the seller.  I could only get the seller to offer a small fraction of the cost as a refund, even after insisting on this being their error.  They kept referring to their return policy not including return shipping, pointing out how much more expensive it is to ship back to China than it is for them to ship here.  Finally I filed a dispute with PayPal, and they still only wanted to offer a partial refund.  After further insistence, I agreed to ship the package back at my expense, which was $35.  It was shipped on March 21st, and after departing Hong Kong on March 29th it still hasn't been delivered.  I imagine the coronavirus may have something to do with the delay.  Last week, PayPal notified me that they were denying my claim.

It sure doesn't seem fair to me that I have followed all the instructions, incurred additional expense to ship it back when it was the seller's error or dishonesty in the items being received not as advertised, and now because the package hasn't been delivered I'm out the merchandise, the cost of the transaction, AND expensive return shipping.  Again, this is why I used PayPal in the first place, was for the protection they offer buyers that makes internet transactions like this even able to be trusted.  But now I feel like I can't even trust PayPal.

The only option to contact them through their website is to use their messaging system, which keeps kicking me out to the resolution center.  I tried calling customer service, but they have a recorded message that their call center is closed with no further instructions.  I am surprised at both the lack of understanding with the situation of this purchase and the lack of customer service of any kind.  Any ideas where I go from here?  Thanks for your help!

kz.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

cdrollinitis
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Kurt,

Join the group. Hundreds and hundreds of PayPal customers have been ripped off by the Chinese companies. The have many, many different names but they are all the same. File a complaint with Econsumer.gov. The more people that do this the better off we will all be. There are even class actions being filed against them AND PayPal. Good luck.

Login to Me Too

PapiDad
Contributor
Contributor

Try contacting your bank that is connected to the Paypal account and explain the situation. Also research filing in Small Claims Court in your area.

Login to Me Too

Nukri1
Contributor
Contributor
My advice: never buy expensive items from China sellers.
Login to Me Too

PapiDad
Contributor
Contributor

It isn't always very clear where it is being shipped from. Some Chinese companies ship from USA. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.