Dispute unauthorized charge on PayPal

MeriJang27
Contributor
Contributor

I have an unauthorized charge for 500 dollars on my PayPal sent to a random person. I contacted PayPal about this and within 2 hours, they responded that they had thoroughly looked into the case and since this was a personal transaction, they could do nothing. I contacted my bank Wells Fargo and they mentioned they could stop the transaction but only for a fee. What can I do in this case and who should I dispute the charges with?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

nevergiveup3
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if this will work with a personal transaction, but it worked for me on a getting a refund from a scam company.  Open a chat message, it will be an AI assistant at first, but keep answering No to its questions until you get to a real live rep.  It can sometimes take a couple of hours for them to reply to a chat message, but they will eventually, just don't end the chat!  I don't get push notifications, so I had to keep checking my email for their replies.  They will give you a bogus answer at first probably, but with every message state that you are dissatisfied with the help you've rec'd and refuse to close the chat.  I also stated I wanted to file a formal complaint against the PP rep that was replying to me because they were not helping me (they weren't!).  My chat was open for 12 hours and went through 2 different reps.  But I guess the 2nd rep did not want to deal with me for his/her whole shift and gave me the refund.

Login to Me Too

arainbadami
New Community Member

How much is the fee? Did Wells Fargo give you a timeline by which you must stop the transaction? If you didn't authorize it, and PayPal isn't helping, I'd probably pay the fee. It's better than nothing and my assumption is if you wait too long you may not be able to reverse the transaction. –

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.