Dispute ruled in my favour yet I have to pay postage?

JeffElder
New Community Member

I purchased a replacement radiator for my vehicle but it had a leak and the Seller wasn't responding to my eBay messages so I escalated through PayPal

I have been told now that PayPal has ruled in my favour and that I am entitlied to a refund but that I have to return the item and pay the postage costs myself.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem except in this case I have the following issues.

1. The leaky radiator is still installed in my vehicle, taking it out without a replacement will leave the vehicle unusable.

2. The Item listing, which is still on eBay, clearly states that they have a 1 year warranty against defect. The one supllied to me has a defect. I should not have to incurr a cost.

3. Paypal have given me an address in China for the return? When I purchased the radiator it listed "Jenec, Czech Republic" as the item location (This is still the case on eBay). Postage was free to me in the UK. Why am I now being asked to pay to post a different and much more expensive location?

4. The Item is large and bulky. To post to 'China' will cost me over £100 where my items original purchase price was £179.

I put all of this in an email to PayPal but I just got a generic automated response that doesnt help with any of my issues.

Tried calling them but went round in circles in there very frustrating Voice Control system.

HELP?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JeffElder

Your best bet is to read up on paypal buyer protection before you start buying so you know what is and what is not offered.
In the event of a dispute you nearly always have to return the item back to the seller so you bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal don't get involved in 'situations' you either resolve it with the seller or return it for a full refund of original costs paid.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

If you buy from a business in the UK then you can normally recover those return costs via the small claims court although most UK businesses would reimburse you anyway. (BUT if you choose to buy from a private or international seller you may not have that option).
You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.