Dispute resolution staff : People or robots? BEWARE....

JMinSF
Contributor
Contributor

I made a non e-Bay purchase using PayPal a few weeks back: Big mistake! The merchant failed to deliver the product and their website was offline for several days, making it impossible for me to contact them with my complaint. When I finally did, they basically ignored me. When I started a dispute with PayPal, I found out why the merchant was digging in: The merchant has no-doubt discovered that the PayPal resolution system doesn't intervene of behalf of its customers. So I've paid for 2 years of a service that doesn't work, and I've lost the payment I made. Too bad.

The real problem, however, is that this company uses auto-renew, so I'll be charged again most-likely in the future (I tried to cancel auto-renew, and that didn't work either). I've been writing to PayPal asking that they assure me that they won't make any future payments to this merchant from my account. I've written FIVE TIMES. Each time, the response has been about the original complaint, reiterating that they can't intervene on my behalf because my case isn't covered under the PayPal Purchase Protection policy.

I wish I could shout this from rooftops: DON'T USE PAYPAL TO BUY FROM MERCHANTS UNFAMILIAR TO YOU! If there's a problem, PayPal won't help. Use your credit card. If I had done so, my bank would absolutely undoubtedly have intervened on my behalf.

Caveat emptor.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

yinchar
Contributor
Contributor

You can still contact your bank to inform them ahead to decline the future auto-renew from the merchant; also if the previous transaction was within 180 days, you can file for a chargeback and have your money refunded.

Kudos/Solution Appreciated if this helps.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

...nevernind

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.