Dispute refund

DSweitzer
Contributor
Contributor

I am in a "dispute" with a seller.  They have agreed to refund my money AFTER I close the dispute.  Is this customary?  I would think I should receive the refund first because if the seller doesn't refund my money, I can't reopen the dispute.  Any help would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DSweitzer 

If you had to close a case to get a refund then it would be pointless having a dispute process at all.
NEVER close until you have a refund, if he refunds you then that would close the dispute automatically.

The seller can still refund you if the funds are on hold as the refund would be taken from his bank account instead and then he would be reimbursed when the held payment is released.
If he doesn't refund then escalate to a claim.
Do not close it or he can ignore you and you can't open a second dispute OR re-open a closed one.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is up to you.

When the dispute is open and waiting for Paypal review,the seller cannot refund you as the payment has been withheld by Paypal,only by you closing the dispute then he can refund you.

Of course he can also not refund you. 

if you do nothing,then all you can do is to wait for Paypal to reach a decision 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DSweitzer 

If you had to close a case to get a refund then it would be pointless having a dispute process at all.
NEVER close until you have a refund, if he refunds you then that would close the dispute automatically.

The seller can still refund you if the funds are on hold as the refund would be taken from his bank account instead and then he would be reimbursed when the held payment is released.
If he doesn't refund then escalate to a claim.
Do not close it or he can ignore you and you can't open a second dispute OR re-open a closed one.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DSweitzer
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much.  This transaction has been shakey from the start.  I will heed your advice.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Teslafan101 and @DSweitzer,

Thank you for your posts! I wanted to swing by and confirm what @kernowlass said, for you and for anyone else who reads this thread. Please never close a dispute once it is opened unless the resolution has already taken place. A seller has the ability to refund through a dispute, and you should never be coerced into closing a dispute with the promise of a refund. Once you close a dispute, it cannot be reopened. If the seller does not follow through with a promised refund, you would not have recourse to dispute again.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.