Dispute raised from buyer after 6 weeks

blnmle
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I have a dispute against me for a large amount. The buyer has had the item for over 6 weeks before making contact and raising the dispute.

The dispute states that 'items not as described' and item damaged. 

If the buyer has the item, left good feedback via ebay and has been using the item in their possession for that time, how am I the seller now responsible? The seller states he has others of the same item, how can I and paypal be sure that it is my item which is now faulty? 

I appreciate that is a little vague, but whilst the claim is on going I do not want to jeopardise it.  

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@blnmle

A buyer has up to 180 days to open a dispute for item received but not as described.

The same time credit card companies give buyers when they buy online items.

With a NAD dispute its always one persons word against anothers so paypal do 'tend' to find in favour of the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you (normally), trackable to prove delivery before you have to refund.

So all you can do is respond when asked to and then wait and see what the outcome is.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

blnmle
Contributor
Contributor

But surely a not as described dispute would have started on receipt of the item, Not six weeks later and after good feedback left. 

I have provided paypal and buyer with documentation of item in use and working whilst in buyers possession. Something is off with this whole dispute and its looking like I'll end up with a broken item, which has been damaged/incorrectly used by the buyer. The item was fully functioning on the date of sale and I have provided evidence of this to paypal. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@blnmle

Buyer may not have opened it for a while OR the item became non-working and not fit for purpose a few weeks after use.

Dependent on what the item is then a buyer has up to 6 months as some items 'should' be fit for purpose up till that time.

Also whilst it may have been functioning when you posted it that does not mean it was not damaged in the post or stopped working after the buyer received it.

All you can do is give paypal all the evidence that you have and hope they find in your favour, good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

blnmle
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help. 

The buyer collected. so that rules out damaged in transit. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@blnmle

Then you need to let paypal know that as their is NO buyer protection for items that were personally collected........

Your purchase is an eligible purchase. Purchases of most goods and services are eligible (including travel tickets, intangible items such as rights of access to digital content and other licences), except for the following transactions:

purchases of items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf (including at a retail point of sale) and which you claim to be Not Received;

So phone customer services and state that as the buyer collected the item they should not be covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

blnmle
Contributor
Contributor

Is that a fact?

Paypal know that the item was collected. I have had 2 conversations with them on the phone. But this wasn't brought to my attention. 

I'll give them a call now. 

Thanks. 

Login to Me Too

blnmle
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have a link to the info that you have provided?

Thanks. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@blnmle

Its in paypals user agreement BUT it may only apply to items they claim are not received and not 'not as described', but its still worth a shot.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

blnmle
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass Thank you. 
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.