Dispute for blatantly obvious fraud

treym662
New Community Member

So I took a chance and ordered an Iron Man motorized helmet from a FaceBook ad for $43. I figured, well if it is a scam PayPal will have my back. I finally received the package to find out it was a $3 plastic child's mask. Filed my dispute and of course there was no response from the China seller and PayPal sends me notification to ship the item back, provide tracking and I will get my refund. Guess how much the shipping costs to ship with a tracking number to China from the US. Yup, $39! How is it my responsibility to ship back an item that was fraudulently sold and shipped to me? Why can't they just give me my  money back? Why doesn't PayPal show me a rating for this seller and how many claims have been filed against them? I am going to take the package to the post office and mark it return to sender and see if they will accept that.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

greekintx
New Community Member

I have the same problem with the EXACT same product.  I've tried to contact the seller many times and no reply. So I contact Paypal and they told me the same EXACT line of BS they told you. But in mine they (Paypal) that they have to be able to track the package all the way back to the thief that sold it. In order to do that it would cost me $94.00 for a $43.00 refund. I've purchased a lot of items with Paypal and the only had one other dispute. Paypal sided with the vendor and **bleep** me over on that one and this one.  

Seems we both got double **bleep** on this deal and Paypal just does nothing to protect it's clients.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@treym662

Your best bet is to read up on paypal buyer protection before you start buying so you know what is and what is not offered.
In the event of a dispute you nearly always have to return the item back to the seller so you bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.