Dispute closed USPS tracking # showed delievered- Item delivered to wrong address

Ridiculicious

I ordered an item from a seller who won't respond to emails and doesn't have a legitimate contact. Since I didn't receive the item, I opened a dispute. The seller sent paypal  a USPS tracking number (they didn't send me one nor an order confirmation). The tracking number is for USPS and shows that the item was delivered, but doesn't show where and from whom. After much hassle (two weeks worth of reports and calls to USPS), I trekked to my post office and had them print the information of the tracking number that shows the item was indeed delivered to the wrong address. Now paypal won't reopen the dispute. I messaged them with all of this information, but I'm getting chat bot replies that once a case is closed it's closed. There was no way to add or check this information until after they party posted the tracking number and they immediately closed the case. Has anyone ever had a resolution after something like this.

ALSO DON'T BUY THINGS THROUGH SELLERS WHO USE USPS.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

htrowrod
New Community Member

I had the same problem with a microscope. After I filed a dispute with Paypal they sent me a tracking number. I went to the post office who said that is not even our tracking number. then they said it was delivered and probably stolen from my porch. I live on an out of the way ct with a gated porch. no one stole anything off my porch. then they said it was stolen out of my mailbox. we have a large bank of locking mailboxes. Paypal sided with them because they said they had a tracking number. I did a search for them after the fact and all these red flags came up saying they are a scam. You would think paypal would see all the complaints against one company and alert us. All this may call for a class action suit.

Login to Me Too

Ridiculicious

After searching through the community, it looks like there are Chinese hoaxters selling fake sports equipment and getting away with disputes by using phony USPS tracking numbers. Even more insidious, when I went to the post office (which was a serious hassle during COVID, and because USPS workers don't actually ever want to work), they said the address didn't even exist! And yet it showed on their tracking site that the package was delivered on their website. When they printed the report, it also shows the delivery wasn't accepted. I sent it to Paypal through the chat, because they don't allow you to attach any evidence of your dispute, and because they don't have any customer service at all, I'm not only out a Kayak that I was planning a trip with, but 100 bucks.  I'LL NEVER USE PAYPAL AGAIN. Nor will I ever use a site that has that payment as the only option. If I'd been able to use my credit card, I could have had that issue solved in a day.

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It's probably too late to try to get your money back from PayPal, but you can still file a complaint at www.ic3.gov. No guarantee they will investigate, but if enough complaints are received on one company, it's more likely to get attention. PayPal definitely seems to favor sellers in their policies, probably because they make money from sellers (losing a few buyers here & there is less impact on bottom line than losing same number of sellers).

Login to Me Too

Ridiculicious

I suspect internet fraud and filed a claim with the government. I'm adding these keywords so it can be found because it's obviously a huge problem that Paypal is actively supporting

USPS tracking number fraud

Login to Me Too

Dmarion2
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same thing happen, but with UPS. I opened a dispute with PAYPAL and they closed it a day later. UPS showed the item delivered, so I contacted them. UPS confirmed that the package was delivered to a different address, but they couldn’t do anything about it. I can’t contact PAYPAL, because once they close a dispute, it’s a done deal. I tried calling PAYPAL’s 1-888 number, but I eventually get disconnected after going through their automated answering tree. I am beyond frustrated!
Login to Me Too

can1976
New Community Member

I have provided all supporting from USPS and it showed the item was sent to wrong address; However, paypal denied my request because the delivery status was 'Delivered'.  Delivery to wrong address is delivered to me. XXXX

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.