Dispute. Fraud . Refund

SamanthaNY
Contributor
Contributor
I bought an item on 30th November 2020. The seller sent me their PayPal details and I sent the money . I was told that I would receive the payment by 6th Jan. However I have not received my item yet! Been trying to contact the seller but they do not respond! Been trying to ask for help from PayPal but the issue hasn’t been resolved yet.
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Temp20220104d
Contributor
Contributor

"I was told that I would receive the payment by 6th Jan."

Did you mean to say that you would receive the goods by Jan 6th?  If it is coming from China, it may take longer.  If you don't receive what you expected, you have just joined the "just-been-scammed-through-PayPal" club.

Login to Me Too

SamanthaNY
Contributor
Contributor
No! The item was to come from Russia ! At first the person sent it by ups but told me that my country had not renewed their postal agreement with Russia , so the person decided to send it using other means , it was to take 4 days maximum, 6th Jan. Unfortunately I have not received it! I even tried to contact the seller on all possible platforms but no response! So I genuinely need a refund
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SamanthaNY 

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item OR service
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website (or you receive a totally different product).

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. Paypal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

Do not close the dispute until you have a refund or your item.
If a seller states that they can't refund until you have closed the dispute don't believe them.
Escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days (before it times out), if you need Paypal to get involved.

If you lose because the seller provides a fake tracking number then post back here for more advice.
If the item arrives and its not what you ordered / not as described then make sure you change the dispute quickly from non receipt. If the dispute times out before you can change it then contact customer services to open a second dispute for the new reason.

Activate the below link in case you have to return the item at Paypals request (or the correct one for your country as this is the U.S link).

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will issue a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Temp20220104d
Contributor
Contributor

Part of the problem is transactions from other countries can take so long that charge-back from the credit card company becomes an invalid option.  

Login to Me Too

SamanthaNY
Contributor
Contributor
Okay the issue is , I made the payment to the PayPal account but using the PayPal option in my bank card. (The bank has a PayPal option where you can withdraw from your PayPal and make payments to it) so every time I check my transaction, it doesn’t really reflect so idk what to do ! I went to my bank and they asked me to contact PayPal.they did provide me with proof of the transaction. I don’t know if there is a way of adding pictures here! Can I still file for a dispute, because I have the username the seller gave me.
Login to Me Too

Temp20220104d
Contributor
Contributor

Since the payment from PayPal to the scammer was a money transfer from your credit card, and assuming the transaction was completed within the allowable timeframe of making a claim as dictated by your credit card insurance carrier policy, you should still be able t make the claim through the credit card insurance carrier.  As an example, The Bank of Montreal uses Allianz as their insurance carrier.   Any claims made based on a purchase through a card issued by Bank of Montreal go to Allianz.  You need to find out who your credit card insurance carrier is and file the claim through them.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.