Dispute Close but cant proceed with refund

jenAug77
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Seller asked me to close the dispute so they can proceed with a refund.

The dispute is closed.  I go to eBay to proceed with the refund, however says I am unable to proceed as there is a dispute open on the purchase, which is not the case as I resolved the dispute and have no open dispute cases.

Thank you for any assistance 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jenAug77 

Once you opened a PayPal dispute and close it, you won't be able to reopen the PayPal dispute in case the seller doesn't refund you. And because you had previously opened a PayPal dispute, eBay won't touch it now. You should not have closed your PayPal dispute.

Next time, if a seller asks you to close the dispute in order to refund, escalate to a PayPal claim. Same with eBay, contact customer service to escalate. Only close a dispute if you get your item or refund to your satisfaction.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

jenAug77
Contributor
Contributor

The seller is attempting to refund me, they are unable to go any further with the process due to my account showing a dispute.

Login to Me Too

WarrenPink
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@jenAug77 

What they told you is not true. Once a dispute is filed against a merchant, the very first option we will give them is to "Accept Claim and Issue a Refund". Once  they click that button, the case will be auto closed with an immediate refund to you. Once you closed a case, you cannot reopen it anymore.

Please try to reach out with our Customee Service to see if they can do it for you. We have limited customer service on the phone as of this time, please contact them on Facebook or Twitter.

You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter

Hope this helps! Stay Safe

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.