Disappointed in PayPal

DollarB22
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed and PayPal investigation was so basic and easily duped. I ordered a drone from a website and almost immediately realized the site was fraudulent. I disputed the transaction immediately and let PayPal know that the phone number listed was fake, there was no email interaction and the site said Washington State but the payment went to China. A few days later the company sent a tracking number but when I contacted UPS they said the number didn’t list my name or address. In spite of all of that info, PayPal denied my dispute because “seller showed proof that product was delivered.” The proof was the fake tracking number 🙄🙄. Thankfully it was a toy and not a full fledged drone, so I’m only out $100 but I’m extremely disappointed that not only did PayPal deny the dispute but they continue to allow the site to scam other people by allowing them to continue to accept PayPal payments. Just a heads up to others, you’re not as protected using PayPal as you may think.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DollarB22

You should have waited for the item to have arrived and then filed for 'item received but not as described'.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DollarB22
Contributor
Contributor
But it never arrived. The company just sent a fake tracking number. A package associated with that tracking number arrived at a completely different address after being sent to a different person. PayPal accepted a tracking number as proof that the package was delivered but didn’t bother to check the address it was delivered to or person it was addressed to.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

This is nothing new,scammer would send package to an address in your zipcode ,it could be a Chinese laundromat,restaurant,Tmobile shop,hospital where someone would received and even sign the package/

The recipient would open it and find it is an empty ,he would then throw it away and think nothing of it.

Paypal and Ebay do make note of such.

if this is Ebay,report him

Login to Me Too

DollarB22
Contributor
Contributor
It was actually a website that mimicked a reputable site. Although I definitely wanted my money back, I’m surprised that PayPal was so accepting of a fake tracking number. I was hoping they would at least stop the site from continuing to accept PayPal payments but they did nothing so more people are probably getting scammed right now.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DollarB22

1. Then personally i would appeal citing that you only returned it once they told you to do so, therefore you have done everything required of you.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/can-i-appeal-paypal%E2%80%99s-decision-on-my-claim-faq20...

2. Or you can phone them and ask why they rejected you when tracking did not show delivery to your paypal registered address.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

OR

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

3. If you funded that paypal payment via a credit card (a must with paypal in my opinion) then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lionsrams
New Community Member

I am extremely disappointed in Paypal. I have a youth group and all funds run through Paypal and it appears I have been scammed and Paypal does not cooperate

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lionsrams

ok, thats a shame.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.