Digital River Ireland unauthorised payment

JohnC76
Contributor
Contributor
Has anyone else had problems with Digital River Ireland taking money out of your PayPal account based upon an authorisation for a historic payment and agreeing to refund but not doing so.
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnC76 

Digital river is an ecommerce payment company. They don't fraudulently take your money. They partner with companies like Samsung, Microsoft, razr, McAfee, avast, etc. If you buy from those websites, your charge may show up as from digital river. They also handle subscriptions. A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product, like anti virus, and forget to cancel and it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting.

Check if you had a subscription set up...
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JohnC76
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry but this is sharp practice. Check online and you will find many others with the same problem. They take the money and do not refund.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnC76 

Yep and most find out they have taken anti virus products or similar subscriptions out in the past and digital river have been processing their authorised payments fro them.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JohnC76
Contributor
Contributor
Not so! They are not refunding my money despite complying with their cooling off period for cancellation and promising that that will. Crooks!
Login to Me Too

LynneDen
Hi this has just happened to me they tried taking £74.99 from my account which PayPal then refunded but not a fortnight later they have taken £29.88 so I contacted PayPal once again to which I was told I would have to pay it, so I’ve been on my settings and noticed they took £17.88 last September, it’s appalling that PayPal are allowing this to happen when so many people on here have had the same problem. I understand they are like a go between merchant and upon checking what the payment is for I found it’s for a subscription to avast which I have not subscribed to, I don’t know what else to do other than pay the debt(new card details need putting onto my account, this is why the money hasn’t been taken yet) as this is the only way that it seems I am able to close the account before anymore money is taken, how unfair is it to have to pay £29.88 to close your account, well done PayPal great customer service!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LynneDen 

If you mistakenly take out a subscription with an anti virus company for their product then yes they will bill you yearly until you cancel it.

BUT you have to cancel it ON your paypal account as well or paypal will keep passing on the funds as the subscription would be live in your preapproved payments.

You need to cancel it in there.

Don't blame paypal as they legally have to send the funds if its active in your subscriptions as that is what you have asked them to do when you took that subscription out.

And no they can't 'get it back for you afterwards' that would be between you and the company that you paid to sort out.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.