Did I just fall for an email scam?!

SyberiaWinx
Contributor
Contributor

I got an email telling me my account has been limited.  I’ve been unable to make any payments these past few days, and one of the emails on the email was service at paypal.com.  I followed the link, gave my SSN, bank, card, and ID info, but still can’t make any purchases, and then I noticed this second email attached to the message :

<removed>

I'm freaking out.  Have I given all my personal info to some scam artist?!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SyberiaWinx

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

OR

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SyberiaWinx
Contributor
Contributor

There was no link, but a button that led to a place where I could confirm my info.  It looked exactly like PayPal's site.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SyberiaWinx

'link or button' makes no odds as it still takes you to a fake log in page.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.