Deposit placed but no communication since

Steve-Jamie
Contributor
Contributor
My husband put a deposit down for some sugar gliders from a breeder. He used goods and services when paying. Apparently there was some issue where the money was held on her end for 21 days. The day the money released all communication ceased. Prior to that, she was super fast to respond to texts and calls. When I go to our transaction, at the bottom it says “Shipped”. But she has never shipped me anything nor was she ever going to, as it was a deposit and we were meeting in person in 2 weeks for the exchange. At this point, I just want my money back and to try to find another pair. Is the “shipped” part going to cause me problems to get my money back?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Steve-Jamie 

Here is why there is a 21 day hold on the recipient's payment:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/all-about-payments-on-hold-faq665

Usually to get the funds released faster the recipient has to update the order status (provide tracking number or marked order as shipped/processed) and then notify the sender (you) to "confirm receipt". If you confirmed receipt on your end of the transaction, you do not get to dispute this payment, you have to forfeit those rights. Now, all that is left to do is to complete the transaction/payment in person as you have planned. If the transaction cannot be completed in person and you have not "confirmed receipt" on your end of the transaction retaining your dispute rights then you may still be able to dispute the payment.

You have 180 days from date of payment to file a dispute.

The reason you choose to dispute with can affect the outcome of the claim:

Locate the payment transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it, then click "Report a problem" to file an Item Not Received (INR) dispute or Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) dispute.

If you filed an item not received dispute and there is no tracking number despite the order being updated to "Shipped", PayPal will require proof of delivery.

You can indicate in the dispute that your payment is a "deposit and transaction to be completed 2 weeks later in person but was not successfully complete because the other party didn't show up, etc. 

I don't know how a deposit and later pick up and paying the balance in person transaction will effect an INR dispute because under purchase protection terms, pick ups aren't covered under INR claims, only SNAD claims but that does not mean you won't be able to get your money back. It's just unpredictable on how PayPal will rule. You may have to appeal but if you can't I hope you paid with a credit card so you can use your chargeback rights with your financial institution if PayPal dispute fails as their dispute terms are broader.

If its a SNAD claim you file, you'll have to return the item (which you never received) in order to get a refund. So you can see not doing a straight pay and ship type of transaction can box you in. Now if you paid and picked up the item, then a SNAD claim would be appropriate as you have something to return via post to the other party to get refund.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.