Deposit for pet

rachael110
New Community Member

Hi there,

I have been in contact with a pet owner lately that is willing to sell me some of her litter. I have been asked to pay a deposit, which sounds fair as this breed is in high demand from safe sources and likely to attract time wasters.

In the unlikely event that this is a scam (the facebook page has been active for a while and has a number of followers/friends I know) what would be the chances that I would be supported by PayPal if everything goes wrong?  As this is a private owner the payment would not be to a company but probably a personal account.

I would be paying the deposit 22nd of this month and picking up the little guys on 21st of June next month if timeframes make a difference.

Have there been issues with this?

Kindest regards,

Rachael

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rachael110 

I'd ask seller for a PayPal invoice with "Allow partial payments" option checked off which is the proper way to do deposits, then at pick up and you have your smart phone with you pay the remaining balance of the invoice. If anything happens post-payment, there is purchase protection and case can be filed as one, not multiple ones.

Link for seller to make invoice: https://www.paypal.com/invoice/manage

Allow partial payments

If you want to accept a deposit or partial payment from your customer, check the Allow partial payment box at the bottom of your invoice. You can also set a minimum amount. Your customer can then make a full payment, pay the minimum, or pay an amount greater than the minimum.

Your invoice will have a Partially Paid status until it’s paid in full. The amount paid will also appear on the invoice for both you and your customer.

The partial payments feature allows your customers to make multiple payments toward the full balance of one invoice, rather than you having to submit multiple invoices. It is not intended to be a credit product or to allow for an excessive number of payments to be made. We may contact customers if we suspect they’re not using this feature correctly.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rachael110 

I'd ask seller for a PayPal invoice with "Allow partial payments" option checked off which is the proper way to do deposits, then at pick up and you have your smart phone with you pay the remaining balance of the invoice. If anything happens post-payment, there is purchase protection and case can be filed as one, not multiple ones.

Link for seller to make invoice: https://www.paypal.com/invoice/manage

Allow partial payments

If you want to accept a deposit or partial payment from your customer, check the Allow partial payment box at the bottom of your invoice. You can also set a minimum amount. Your customer can then make a full payment, pay the minimum, or pay an amount greater than the minimum.

Your invoice will have a Partially Paid status until it’s paid in full. The amount paid will also appear on the invoice for both you and your customer.

The partial payments feature allows your customers to make multiple payments toward the full balance of one invoice, rather than you having to submit multiple invoices. It is not intended to be a credit product or to allow for an excessive number of payments to be made. We may contact customers if we suspect they’re not using this feature correctly.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.