Depop scam

Mumoftwo
Contributor
Contributor

I made a purchase via the depop app. He refunded the purchase via the app and asked me to pay via PayPal friends and family which I foolishly did. Shortly afterwards I message to check he had posted the item. His profile had been deleted. I opened up a dispute with depop who wouldn't help. I've opened up a dispute with PayPal who won't help. I cancelled my PayPal direct debit with my bank so the payment didn't come out. My PayPal account is now in default because if this. I raised a dispute with PayPal because this person has scammed me. I will not be putting in any money into my account to pay this person. I have been in touch with this person to return the money to my account but am not getting anywhere. Until he has refunded me what he owes I will not be using PayPal. How can I get PayPal to get the money back from him as I'm not getting anywhere with anyone.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Mowood1
Contributor
Contributor
Did you ever get this resolved? Same thing has happened me.
Login to Me Too

Mumoftwo
Contributor
Contributor
I reported him to the action fraud team, reported to depop and PayPal and got no help at all. I stopped the payment to PayPal by cancelling my dd with my bank. Then hounded the person with emails and requests for payment through PayPal, in the end he refunded my money as he just have got sick of me. I've now deleted depop and would not buy a from one of these apps again after this experience. I've learned a valuable lesson, and trust nobody now.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mumoftwo 

@Mowood1 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.