Depop /Paypal Scam *reposting as accidentally marked last one as a solution*

quinny1992
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this is the right place to put this however I just wanted to make others aware of a depop scam I very nearly fell for today. 

I received a message from a depop user saying she would be interested in the item but that her paypal isn't working through depop so can she transfer me the money via paypal instead. She also asked me to follow her and message her about it on instagram. I wanted to be helpful and wasn't really thinking much of it. She asked for my email address to transfer the money and confirming how much it would all be. I sent her my email address and she sent me a message saying that she was asked to 'enter the payment-recipients security code' (screenshot is attached). I didn't receive a text for a while but just as it came through I realised I couldn't log back into paypal anymore so she had definitely been trying to access my account. It's just really horrible that this happens especially on depop when so many young people just want to make extra money & not be rinsed. For reference her depop name is @freyayoung102 and her instagram @freyayoung_x . I hope this helps anyone else in this situation as I didn't see any other stories like this happening online so might be a new thing.8AB81272-71AF-491C-97CD-E001D4A825AA.jpeg

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

duplicate posts not allowed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.