Delivery scam on PayPal purchases?

SparkyJordan
Contributor
Contributor
It looks like PayPal only checks to see if the seller submits a tracking number but does not verify the delivery address? I recently bought a MacBook on swappa.com for over $3k and the seller did not ship it to me. When I filed for a refund through PayPal the the seller sent a tracking number to PayPal but the delivery confirmation is not to my address. PayPal closed the case in the sellers favor since the seller provided a tracking number, even though it was not shipped to me at my address. When I checked with the post office they said the tracking number was for a very lightweight item. My guess is the seller was a scam (not many pics, not responsive on swappa, and no previous sales on swappa) and they sent an inexpensive “junk” package to a random address in my town as soon as the sale went through. Then they submitted the tracking number for the bogus package to PayPal and ran with the money. PayPal has been almost impossible to reason with, if it were not such a big ticket item I would almost give up! I have tried to re-open the case twice now and have called tech support as well. They keep saying the case is resolved because there is a delivered tracking number without considering the delivery address. Does anyone else have any experience with this kind of thing?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SparkyJordan 

Get documentation from the US Postal Service of what was sent, the GPS delivery coordinates on a official document in pdf ready to upload because this is mail fraud and PayPal aiding and abetting, file a police report and a report at ic3.gov (PayPal works with them).

Then call PayPal again and ask for the fraud dept or something to look in to this. If this fails, and you paid with credit card, file a chargeback with your card issuer. They are willing to listen and their dispute terms are broader.

Please stick with reputable names to buy Apple products, seriously. B&H Photo, Best Buy, MacMall, Amazon (that they fulfill) and of course the Apple Store. No eBay, no Swappa or any of these other online marketplaces. If you're going to pay 3k, you might as well buy it from Apple. So many brazen folks running scams out here on the net it is scary.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SparkyJordan 

Get documentation from the US Postal Service of what was sent, the GPS delivery coordinates on a official document in pdf ready to upload because this is mail fraud and PayPal aiding and abetting, file a police report and a report at ic3.gov (PayPal works with them).

Then call PayPal again and ask for the fraud dept or something to look in to this. If this fails, and you paid with credit card, file a chargeback with your card issuer. They are willing to listen and their dispute terms are broader.

Please stick with reputable names to buy Apple products, seriously. B&H Photo, Best Buy, MacMall, Amazon (that they fulfill) and of course the Apple Store. No eBay, no Swappa or any of these other online marketplaces. If you're going to pay 3k, you might as well buy it from Apple. So many brazen folks running scams out here on the net it is scary.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

SparkyJordan
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks! Just left the Apple store.. 😉 I will file that report and see what happens! Already reported it to the credit card company and uploaded the delivery confirmation showing the wrong address to PayPal... will wait a couple more days and see what they come back with. Thanks for the advice! Travis
Login to Me Too

mfmosley2

Did this ever get resolved for you? Going through the exact same process now. Bought a iPhone 12 Pro on Swappa and they uploaded a tracking number to my city/state that says delivered but obviously a scam. The ship date is three days before the listing on Swappa/my purchase date.

Login to Me Too

John_man
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same problem. I have lost $99.67. I bought a tool table. At first saler would not reply to me. But then they sent a tracking number. But the table never came in. So i called fedex. They said the saler used some body else tracking number and for me to call my bank and try to get my money back. But because the saler send them a tracking number they will not help. Pretty sorry paypal
Login to Me Too

Memelori
Contributor
Contributor
I also have had something like this happen to me. I bought a mixer in March, and it was delivered to the wrong address. I have been in contact with the seller and they have sent a replacement item. 3 times to the wrong address…. I can’t dispute it because it’s too old
Login to Me Too

KBL
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, I see this is not an uncommon issue.  I bought a garden shed...8 foot x 8 foot. Turns out, from a company in China.  It never arrived.  But, they did supply a tracking number.  That number - purportedly from USPS - did not exist in their files.  But, PayPal never checked.  They just said there is a tracking number.  Do they investigate at all?  Are they lazy?  Complicit?  Contacting them is next to impossible.  That container shipped from China for $9.99?  Come on PayPal, nobody can think that was legit.  Shipped from China for $9.99?  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.