Damaged during delivery; who is responsible for the refund?

Shimon17
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have an item that was damaged during delivery. The package appears to have been opened by the post office or customs for inspection and then dropped on the floor. The damages include major scratches and dents that cannot be explained otherwise. It is a heavy antique adding machine (7 or 8 kg) made of metal and it is no longer functional. 

I have complete confidence in the seller and I do not want to request a refund from this individual because it is clearly not his fault. Can I obtain the refund another way? In other words, am I covered directly by PayPal or eBay? The total cost is $257 CAD.

One last thing. It was sent with regular post from Germany - no insurance or tracking number. Canada Post's website seems to indicate that they will not be held responsible. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Shimon17 wrote:

Hi

I have an item that was damaged during delivery. The package appears to have been opened by the post office or customs for inspection and then dropped on the floor. The damages include major scratches and dents that cannot be explained otherwise. It is a heavy antique adding machine (7 or 8 kg) made of metal and it is no longer functional. 

I have complete confidence in the seller and I do not want to request a refund from this individual because it is clearly not his fault. Can I obtain the refund another way? In other words, am I covered directly by PayPal or eBay? The total cost is $257 CAD.

One last thing. It was sent with regular post from Germany - no insurance or tracking number. Canada Post's website seems to indicate that they will not be held responsible. 

Since no insurance was purchased and PayPal and eBay do not cover such contingencies for that is what shipping insurance is for and it was shipped via regular German Post and not eBay Global Shipping Program. You will need to work something out with the seller. Perhaps splitting the loss with the seller and get 50% refund because otherwise, you are looking to get the seller to be fully responsible if you want full refund.

For something that costs over $257 CAD, I would have insured it. I insure any thing over 50 bucks.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Shimon17
Contributor
Contributor

Hi 

Thank you for the quick response. I am an eBay newbie. I will definitely ask for insurance the next time.

Thanks,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.