DISPUTE GUEST CHECKOUT TRANSACTION, but contacted my bank first...NOW PAYPAL WON'T HELP?

sspaugy28
Contributor
Contributor

I made a payment through guest check out.  When I never received the goods and the seller wouldn't respond to me, I contacted my bank to try and get resolved.  My bank advised they can try to contact the merchant for me but if the merchant doesn't respond then they can't do anything for me, including not getting my money back.  so then I reached out to PayPal thinking THEY should help me since it was a PayPal transaction, but PayPal said they can't help me because I contacted my bank first.  So now no one will help me.  This can't be right?  I wasn't trying to do anything wrong by contacting my bank first, this is just what I thought I should do.  But now I am being told Paypal cannot do anything about the transaction, not now, not later, not ever???

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sspaugy28 

If you reported the transaction, in effect, disputed it with your bank, PayPal won't touch it afterwards, sorry.

For future reference, when paying with guest checkout, you will have received a PayPal receipt with a receipt ID number on it. You can call PayPal customer service and provide this receipt ID number to open a dispute. Disputing with your financial institution is usually the last resort in the scheme of things and you've used it in this case, so you are stuck with it unfortunately.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

sspaugy28
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for responding.  I guess I wasn't aware that contacting my bank was the wrong thing to do or I wouldn't have done it.  I just don't understand how no one can be held responsible; like I should have known to not ask my bank for help.  I didn't think I could inquire with PayPal because I checked out as a guest.  would you happen to know why my bank isn't able to assist me with getting my money bank like PayPal could have?  I am just at a loss of how poorly this turned out and feel completely taken advantage of from so many different angles.  None of this is your problem, I do appreciate the feedback, even if it isn't what I want to hear.  Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.