DID I GET SCAMMED

TheHop2002
New Community Member

I ordered a Phantom RC Fighter 3.0 Land And Sea Remote Control Aircraft  from London Meichi Co. Ltd

on Oct. 1st paid for it through PayPal and have not received it or any notification from them since. I emailed them through PayPal and received no response and have finally had to file a resolution through PayPal for the product.

Login to Me Too
40 REPLIES 40

mattcchambers
Contributor
Contributor

Call PayPal and explain the situation. A little patience and persistence will get you a full refund. 

Login to Me Too

POPPY46
Contributor
Contributor

I TOO PAID FOR A JET FIGHTER THE ONE THAT THEY PUT IN WATER AND STEPPED ON IT. I WILL ALSO BE CALLING PAYPAL LATER TODAY. IT WAS ADVERTISED ON FACE BOOK. 

Login to Me Too

icuOklaCity
Contributor
Contributor

POPPY46, Please post a updated as to what kind of answer you got from PayPal when you called them. After reading PayPal's refund policy I thought it would be a bigger hassual trying to get a refund from Paypal then what it's worth. But maybe if enough of us call/report the same scam on the same product  from the same company, during the same short time frame, Paypal will actually due what we all expect PayPal to do by using their service to keep us protected from scams and fraud on online purchases. 

Login to Me Too

Ephesian
Contributor
Contributor
I have year to receive a response.
Login to Me Too

Ibdisadf
Contributor
Contributor
They gave me a 50% refund. The sad part is they know this is going on on several products yet they dont alert buyers when they are trying to purchase these fraudulent products.
Login to Me Too

icuOklaCity
Contributor
Contributor

I was going to just let it go,and not try to get a refund thinking that all the hassell wasn't worth the $50.00 that I'm out.

That was until I posted to and started reading this thread.  After reading some comments about how this "Scammer"/Seller has been using PayPal for the last 3-4 years running the same scam. Putting up a Website/Facebook page listing popular products at a good price, using PayPal for a payment system. Then after a few days the link to the site is gone/dead. Most orders are never shipped but seller was paid in full. The few (like myself) who do actually get a tracking number and a item sent, ends up with a cheap $2 PoS item that is no where close to the item that was order..

It seems most of these order/items are under the $50-$75 mark. The Scammers know that most people will not deal with the hassle to try to get a refund on relatively low dollar amounts, which gives them free money. 

Now let's talk about PayPal and PayPal Purchase Protection.  Seeing how this scam has been going on for 3-4 years now under the same company name/scammer/seller "London Meichi Co., Ltd." PayPal is well aware of the fraudulent actions that is scammer/seller is using. Breaking a couple of PayPal's "Seller Requirements" and still has not been removed as a PayPal Seller,  suspended or frozen their PayPal account. Who knows how many "Resolution Center" cases have been open against them over the last 3-4 years (only chance of getting a refund). So PayPal can't denied previous knowledge of this sellers actions/scams.

So with PayPal's previous knowledge, it made me see the light about PayPal services and their so call Purchase/Buyer Protection. The only ones getting any "Protection" is the scammer/seller and PayPal Services. Leaving us buyers with zero protection and zero recourse due to PayPal's legal contact (Terms & Conditions) we all agree too when you open a PayPal account and use their service.

The Scammer/Seller and PayPal see's this as a cash cow. The Seller (I'm guessing at these number) gets 60-75% free money on all orders because most people don't want to hassle with trying to get a refund. PayPal's cash cow on this scam is the 25-40% (again guessing at the numbers) of the refunds that Paypal gets back from the seller account also comes with "fees" that PayPal charges the seller for refunding the money.

Then if you add that, as mentioned by a couple people just in this thread along that PayPal only offers a 50% of total cost of item as a refund. (which is the offer I received and refused).

If accepted Paypal refunds 50% to the buyer keeps 50% plus all fees collected, which turns out to be a pretty good business model if you ask me.. PayPal have no "overhead" in these transactions, yet PayPal makes 50% + Fees on all of scammers refunded sales that buyers agree to taking 50% refund.

So the true question that needs to be asked and answered is. Who is the true scammers, and is there only one scammer/company running this scam..??? Or is there a "Service Company" and "Seller" that's are incahoots on this scam and other type of scams ran though their pay service...?

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, as I don't have any actual hard numbers, but just putting 2 and 2 together and it's don't  add up to 4 in this case. But it does stink of a whole lot of shadiness.

I'm leaning to the theory that since both PayPal and the scammer/seller are making untold amount of free money (I'm guessing in the millions for each, per year) on just this one type of scam, that's been going on for at least 3-4 years now , that PayPal fully knows about, supports, and possible has a hand in running these scams..

Again that is just my opinion, so take it as you will. I suggest you do a little digging about this and other scams ran through PayPal and come up with your own opinion be it good or bad..

As my post don't show PayPal in a good light, I doubt if it stay up very long before PayPal deletes or removes it even though it don't break any Forum rules. But I'm sure it will be removed under " PayPal reserves the right to remove any post without reason".

Login to Me Too

Ibdisadf
Contributor
Contributor
I say lets get all of our information together and pursue legal action. Paypal is obviously deeply involved in this scam. Why else would they so willingly offer 50% refund. Where in their refund policy does it state they would give 50% refunds? I'm all in. Anybody else?
Login to Me Too

Egoonthefly
Contributor
Contributor
Do not accept a 50% return. You call paypal and demand that 1) they sent you the wrong product. 2) tell them to Google search the name of that company and see how many complaints there are within their own community. 3) the fact that they haven't done anything about this is completely unacceptable as a customer. 4) no you aren't going to send the item they sent you back to some remote Village in China and have to pay out-of-pocket for the expense to send it there hoping that they'll alert PayPal they received the item back so that you can get a full refund. No way. The whole thing's a freaking joke it's a cash cow. I'm surprised there hasn't been criminal action against this person or company.
Login to Me Too

Egoonthefly
Contributor
Contributor
Yes this company is a total fraud
Login to Me Too

Ibdisadf
Contributor
Contributor
Yes you got scammed. Anyone who ordered a Phantom 3.o from a chinese seller by countless names got scammed and PayPal endorses it. My resolution was decided in the sellers favor when it was painfully obviously obvious the they sent a different product and theyre email was no longer valid. Then paypal makes it so damn difficult to talk to some one it support it is frustrating. Im done with this lame service. I suggest you all quit since paypal allows these sellers to rip us off. Some buyers protection huh.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.