Credit card - unauthorised use on unknown account

LeRoy60
Contributor
Contributor

Checking my father's bank statement we noticed a transaction to an eBay seller via PayPal.

My father does not have a PayPal account and has never purchased anything from eBay.

We have reported the card as compromised to his financial institution but are looking to get the amount taken from his account reversed.  I cannot find anywhere on PayPal's site which would enable us to report this fraudulent transaction (as it wasn't processed through an account we control).  We don't know the PayPal account name.

How can I progress this. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LeRoy60 

File dispute through credit card by calling the issuer of the card and giving the account/transaction information.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

LeRoy60
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, but I’ve already done that.  They’ve sent me the forms (which required me to report it to the police, which I’ve done via ACORN) and they’ve cancelled the card.  They’ve told me to go back to PayPal.

i suspect I could be about to go in circles.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @LeRoy60,

I am sorry to hear that. As mentioned before, if your father does not have a PayPal account, the best option is always to contact the card issuer because it may be possible that the card has been compromised.

If you contact PayPal, the customer support will be able to trace the funds but the investigation will be made directly by the card issuer. PayPal offers protection only if you have a PayPal account registered.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

LeRoy60
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Christina.

To do the investigation PayPal needed the other person’s email address.  Not helpful as we don’t know it.  The bank, similarly, was able to cancel the card as compromised but was able to do little else unless I went through PayPal.

Luckily his bank statement gave us the eBay store and I contacted them.  They’re currently trying to recall the item through Australia Post as it’s still in transit.  Thankfully.

Even though his card is cancelled, the bank tells me that the reversal of the transaction will see the money put back into his account.

Phew!  What a pain in the butt, but at least we have a light at the end of the tunnel.

cheers

DLR

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @LeRoy60,

Glad to hear that 🙂

Cristina

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.