Credit card charge back through PP for Ebay sale

Pats4p
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a tractor on Ebay yesterday. Buyer paid in full through PP. Contacted buyer who came and inspected tractor to his  satisfaction. Buyer is shipping tractor to Africa and requested title for tractor. My state (and most states to my knowledge) do not issue a title for a farm tractor. Buyer states he will not be able to import tractor without a title. My question: If buyer used a credit card to pay for tractor, and PP processed the transaction, if the buyer institutes a charge back with his CC company will PP attempt to retrieve funds from my bank account or CC?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Pats4p

@Pats4p wrote:

I have decided to refund the transaction after speaking with PP reps.

I was hoping this was going to be your next course of action. 

You're very welcome. Enjoy the rest of the summer.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Pats4p

There is no Seller Protection for motorized vehicles. PayPal should never be used for these types of sales, except for a small deposit to hold the vehicle until the buyer can show up with cash.

If the buyer submits a charge back request through their card issuer and wins, you will be out the funds and the tractor (if it has already been delivered and the buyer doesn't return it). 

If you have withdrawn the funds from PayPal, your PayPal account will be negative the charge back amount as PayPal will have had to issue the refund from their own funds.

As for PayPal initiating a transfer without your prior approval; here is a PayPal link with details.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/will-paypal-have-the-ability-to-withdraw-funds-from-my-b...

Login to Me Too

Pats4p
Contributor
Contributor

Oregon11 thanks for the reply. I have decided to refund the transaction after speaking with PP reps. A charge back could occur months down the line and the burden would be on me as PP would be out of the equation and afford me no protection against a CC charge back.Aa negative balance, as you mentioned, would then occur and collections etc.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Pats4p

@Pats4p wrote:

I have decided to refund the transaction after speaking with PP reps.

I was hoping this was going to be your next course of action. 

You're very welcome. Enjoy the rest of the summer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.