Crafty scammers

juan89307
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else have a crafty scammer who ships a 1oz package via USPS to a bogus address in your hometown and then uses the delivery confirmation to prove to PayPal that they didn't shaft you?  I had USPS look into my case and they verified the use of a partial name, a totally incorrect shipping address, and that it was a 1oz package not a 5lb package as it should have been.  Shared this info with PayPal but it would seem the crafty scammer is somewhat more intelligent than the good folks at Pay Pal who are supposed to be providing us some sort of protection from this type of stuff.   At least USPS decided to open an investigation due to several complaints and the overall shady issues involved with this case.  As the seller was able to provide a delivery confirmation, regardless of the apparent discrepancies, Pay Pal chose to deny my claim.  Decided to contest it with my credit card company.  Have to laugh, got an additional email from the helpful people at Pay Pal now telling me that they will not be able to investigate or decide my claim since the credit card company is involved, something they did a couple of weeks ago.  Word of advice, use your credit card directly and avoid a middle man joke when making purchases.     

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@juan89307 

Yeah, buyer protection is not a guarantee, warranty or insurance. Tracking number/proof of delivery is one of few things that protect sellers. PayPal policy states that you can dispute with your credit card should outcome is ruled against you and the PayPal dispute will close if you go dispute through your card issuer. 

Typically, you'd have to get official documentation from USPS and a police/ic3.gov report to try an appeal on the PayPal case but if PayPal won't budge then you'd file with CC whose dispute terms are more broader than PP's.

These scammers have adapted to the loopholes or seller protection terms of the PayPal dispute head on. Sadly, scamsters still make money but time will tell if they get caught or not. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@juan89307 

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment or that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page), via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

juan89307
Contributor
Contributor

Received a full refund via my credit card company.  Much easier way to get this resolved since PP had already denied my dispute.  I will probably always got via my credit card company first in the future.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.