Could webshop have scammed me via paypal checkout popup?

EricGoesen

I bought a product online. Selected payment method PayPal.

The PayPal popup shows, I log in to PayPal in this popup window. Then I entered the shipping address there and confirmed payment.

The payment was successful, and I was redirected back to the webshop. Then it became very strange. The page on the site showed a very weird e-mail address. The part after the @-sign, was 163.com which doesn't even seem to be a valid domain name (when trying to visit it).

Also, a few Chinese (or Asian) characters were shown next to the e-mail address. When trying to translate it, it seems to be someone's name.

So I'm concerned because:

• Strange e-mail and a name of Chinese/asian characters shown on the site after checkout, without any logical context. 
  • I didn't get any confirmation e-mail from the website, like "your order is placed".

Could this PayPal transaction possibly have been a personal transaction?

Can a website do the following?

1. On checkout, you choose PayPal as payment method.
  2. The website does not start a normal paypal transaction popup, but a personal payment popup.
  3. You think you are paying for a product, but actually you are just sending money personally to someone.

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Tommy

Hi, EricGoesen,

The website should always allow you to complete a commercial payment, not a personal one. There is no way to confirm this while completing the payment. 

If you complete a Personal payment and you can see this in your PayPal account, you will need to report this to PayPal so we can take action. 

I would advise you to wait for the item to be delivered. If it's not delivered, I advise you to open a claim for an item not received through the resolution centre. You will only have the option to report a transaction after 10 days of completing the payment. 

-Tommy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.