Considering a chargeback on a no-fault friends / family payment. Advice needed.

HolyDuckTurtle
Contributor
Contributor

Basically I tried to send £100 to a friend abroad and the money got held up in pending for a while, but it was not unclaimed so I never had the option to cancel it. For various personal reasons we've decided not to go ahead with the payment, but it's come out of the bank before I could attempt cancelling it on that end and is still pending in the Activity section with the "money sent" status.

My friend is having serious trouble accessing their account and has basically given up on it. This money will essentially be unavailable for a very long time while they get things sorted. If I perform a chargeback on the payment from my bank, what, if any, consequences will this have on them?

All the previous answers I've found say this is possible but most of them refer to goods and services, in which case the other party would have to pay a fee of some sort. If this is the case for friends / family too then I do not want to perform an action that will cause trouble with mine or their accounts. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Ragnar_Lothbrok
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Good day @HolyDuckTurtle 

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Also, thank you for being specific that this payment was not "Unclaimed". So if you used your bank (eg checking or savings) to fund this transaction and the status still shows "Pending" then possibly, it is being sent as an eCheck that typically takes 5-7 or 7-10 business days (bank and country dependent). That said, you may still want to double check with your bank if they can stop the payment. That wouldn't hurt your PayPal account and your friend's.

However, if a case will be opened through your bank, I believe there will be a fee against the recipient - I just don't know how much it is going to be. I am sorry about that.

***If you saw a post that is helpful, kindly give the author Kudos or accept it as a solution. Thank you and keep safe!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

Ragnar_Lothbrok
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Good day @HolyDuckTurtle 

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Also, thank you for being specific that this payment was not "Unclaimed". So if you used your bank (eg checking or savings) to fund this transaction and the status still shows "Pending" then possibly, it is being sent as an eCheck that typically takes 5-7 or 7-10 business days (bank and country dependent). That said, you may still want to double check with your bank if they can stop the payment. That wouldn't hurt your PayPal account and your friend's.

However, if a case will be opened through your bank, I believe there will be a fee against the recipient - I just don't know how much it is going to be. I am sorry about that.

***If you saw a post that is helpful, kindly give the author Kudos or accept it as a solution. Thank you and keep safe!

Login to Me Too

HolyDuckTurtle
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for replying. If there's a chance of a chargeback fee being placed on them I will not do it. Unfortunately, the payment cleared the bank before I had the time to go to them and cancel it. So unless my friend can regain access to the account that money is lost.

Thanks for your help regardless. I will accept your response as a solution as it adequately answers my question regarding a fee and what that particular status means for the payment.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.