Confirm receipt and buyer protection for virtual good before delivery of item?

moldysandals
Contributor
Contributor

I have paid a seller in goods and services for a virtual good and the seller has not released the information to me, but has asked me to click the "confirm receipt" button to send the funds faster.

Does this void my buyer protection / can I still dispute for "item not received" after clicking this button if I am scammed? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@moldysandals 

The bolded part was never mentioned in any PayPal Help documentation. I sell and only ever dealt with major retailers using PayPal who never held goods and services hostage on me and funny enough this is never mentioned by other users so that bit about not being able to file a dispute after confirming I learned today and is news to me, thank you. If it says that you can't file a dispute, then don't confirm and file a Item Not Received dispute right away since the seller is holding your virtual item hostage to get your money back.

Best wishes.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

moldysandals
Contributor
Contributor

Help, kernowlass! According to a random reddit post: 

"By pressing confirm receipt all your doing is saying " yes this information is correct" the money is put on hold to that seller due to this transaction flagged as a high risk. This means 1. this is much higher they they normally receive or 2. its much higher then you normally spend. also if your account has just had changes made possibly. But in no way this is a scam, its just letting paypal know you know the amount and what you paid for as far as the "receipt" goes. you still have full protection other wise."

Valid info? Thanks.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@moldysandals 

"Confirming" releases the "21 day PayPal hold" funds to the recipient but you can still file a dispute as long as the payment is goods and services payment and filed within 180 days from payment.

Has the seller marked the transaction "Order Processed" or "Service Rendered"? You can't confirm until the seller does that. The seller is not supposed to hold your item hostage anyway. It don't matter if you confirmed or not, if you do not get your goods, you still have the ability to file a dispute later anyway (if you "confirm" to release the money to the seller) because you sent them a goods and services payment. Some people (the seller) just don't know how PayPal works. The whole point of the PayPal hold is to ensure the seller sends the goods and develop good selling habits. You can file a dispute right now if your transaction meets the protection requirements and you see "Report a problem" with option to file an Item Not Received dispute in the transaction details.

Login to Me Too

moldysandals
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

Hmmm. Now I'm not sure at all since I just clicked the Confirm receipt button, and the page I get sent to says "By confirming this order, you acknowledge you have received the item(s) and are satisfied with the condition. Please note, you may no longer be able to raise a dispute against this order and the funds will be settled with the seller."

Maybe you were describing something else?

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@moldysandals 

The bolded part was never mentioned in any PayPal Help documentation. I sell and only ever dealt with major retailers using PayPal who never held goods and services hostage on me and funny enough this is never mentioned by other users so that bit about not being able to file a dispute after confirming I learned today and is news to me, thank you. If it says that you can't file a dispute, then don't confirm and file a Item Not Received dispute right away since the seller is holding your virtual item hostage to get your money back.

Best wishes.

Login to Me Too

Limanski
What about if seller wants you to confirm receipt and you cant, and funds are still pending at him. But at your paypal account said it was sent and also on bank account it says that funds were sent??
Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey @Limanski,

You won't always have the option to confirm receipt, depending on the seller and type of payment. If there is no option, then the seller will need to wait the full time frame to receive the funds. I hope this helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

swang50
New Community Member

@moldysandals 

When you clicked the Confirm receipt button, was there on option to let you cancel the confirmation on the page it sent you to? Cause I'm in the same situation and I'm worried that if I click the Confirm receipt button and I receive the same message you got, that I will lose Buyer Protection afterwards if I am not able to cancel it.

Login to Me Too

Ais3
New Community Member

i am in a similar situation, i am buying the vacation holtel package from travel agent and he is asking me to confirm that i have received the item in paypal ( as his payment is on hold) and only then he will send me the confirmation. Should i do that?. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.