Complaints to PayPal in their handling of disputes

mcqueenster
Contributor
Contributor

I need to make a formal complaint to PayPal regarding their method of dealing with disputes and claims. Anyone figured out to do this? Paypal appears to make this very difficult to do.

It appears from the resolution centre that I can only engage with PayPal if I have a dispute with another a buyer or seller, but not make a complaint directly to PayPal around the way their policies are applied.

My most recent dispute demonstrates a large hole in their customer buyer/seller process. Throughout this recent dispute I had minimal involvement and decisions made that I could not provide detail to. (the dispute process in the resolution centre is very restrictive on who and what information can be displayed)

Be wary of selling anything using the paypal payment system. Ebay provides the selling platform but it seems they do not need to get involved in any disputes. The dispute can go directly to Paypal , and it can be escalated from a dispute to a claim on the same day without any communication with the other party in the transaction. It is only at this time the other party is notified of the issue.

Some clever paypal users have figured out that they can receive an item, decide they don't want it any more, record it as "not as described" provide no more supporting information and say they have posted it back to the seller. All without any involvement or agreement with the seller.

All Paypal needs to reverse the payment transaction is to see a proof of posting. No checks are made with the seller that the item has actually arrived and is in the condition it was sent, or even if it was the same item that was sent. Many items are on ebay as no returns unless significantly not as described. Paypal appears to ignore this when managing the dispute process. The buyer should be responsible for confirming why the item is not as described and communicate this to the seller before requesting a return. Paypal doesn't check for this and provides a refund automatically, leaving the seller with a negative paypal balance and potentially no item, a damaged item, or a completely different item to that sent.

Has anyone else has similar PayPal experience?

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

Temp20220130l

I sold a completely authentic, used, Moncler jacket on ebay; the jacket had an authentication code on the label which can be used to verify / confirm authenticity on the Moncler on-line checking system and I also sent the buyer the original receipted tags from the time I bought the jacket. Provided a lot of pictures and a clear description of the item on ebay. The buyer started a claim through Paypal and escalated it to a dispute because she felt the jacket was not a  genuine Moncler jacket and so was not as advertised (SNAD). Paypal immediately ruled in favour of the buyer even though I gave plenty of clear evidence to show that the item was genuine.Paypal really should demand evidence from the buyers to support their claim of' "Not as advertised", not just go on the word of the buyer.

I do not know how to appeal the decision; do I have to wait until after the refund has been made and the case is closed?

Login to Me Too

Ferg72
New Community Member

I've had a different issue with Paypal.  I was hacked and someone used my account (and bank account) to buy £187 worth of goods.  They also changed the mobile number on the account and added a new delivery address.  I never received any notification of these charges.

I've been refunded however it made me go overdrawn so I'm trying to find out from Paypal whether they refund any charges incurred.

I've now sent 5 e-mails asking the same questions but all I keep getting is a reply saying that the investigation has been completed and I will be refunded.

I believe that Paypal has been negligent in allowing changes to my account happen without letting me know so that I could have nipped this in the bud.

I've raised a complaint through the Financial Ombudsman.  I'm really not confident that anything will be done but I feel better knowing that I've at least tried.

Login to Me Too

adrian356B
Contributor
Contributor

I wasn't even a seller but was labelled as such by the original seller who claimed that they did not receive goods for postage money they sent me to return their own product  6 months later. They obviously received this as the parcel was tracked and they issued the refund upon receipt and sent a confirmation email. I had to supply information Paypal already had later (as I did not sell on Ebay, didn’t know what the claim was about and therefore blindsided in the only chance Paypal give you to respond). The later information (sent via email to an address Paypal gave me over the phone seemed to be ignored and the (very quick) resolution went in original seller's (self-nominated "buyer's") favour "because of what they said" when “what they said was demonstrably untrue. No receipt of that information was ever acknowledged. I have appealed, but again no receipt acknowledged. However, I suspect that Paypal will try to right about the original decision rather than fair…I hope I am wrong. I would rather money went to charity than this particular seller (self-nominated ‘buyer’). So I do have sympathy for sellers who strike dishonest buyers….and vice versa. Paypal need to better with their due diligence to make fairer decisions.

Login to Me Too

aldman

Well my story is that I purchased an Item that was not as advertized (Watch costing  $49, S&H incl.)

Seller offered a $5 refund which I refused since I had screenshots of the advertizement AND pictures of the sent item. I said to myself, this is an open shut case so I refused. PP asked that I mailed then items back which I did. Cost of shipping Item back to China $59. I said, "No problem, return shipping covered by PP. This was my first error. I asked for a refund for return shippinmg (which cost me pennies under $60, but PP poolicy says they will only refund a maximum of $30. So now I'm out the original $49 + $29...

I diligently supplied a picture of the post invoice, the tracking number, the Customs declaration and package Dec 6th. On, Dec. 28 they advise that they are denying the claim because I did not provide proof of item sent back....WTF? I respectfully requested that the case be re-opened as all document and information were (and are still) attached to my file. Answer back: Sorry you do not like this decision but It stands. What a bunch of c**p. 

Just wrote again asking that they explain how I did not comply with instructions. It will be a wait and see thing, but my bet is I better kiss my $78 goodbye...

Login to Me Too

Nana319
I tried to resolve a dispute with merchandise coming from China that was a poor knockoff of the photos they were advertising. I wanted to return one of the items that were damaged and was told I have to return all the merchandise. That meant taking one of my xmas gifts back from my daughter which was very disheartening. USPS on my receipt stated there was no tracking #. But I sent all the documents I was asked to. Of course LTC Fashions has NOT acknowledged they received the pkg. I’m out of merchandise which is an a bad thing but I’m also out of my $80 plus the $35 I sent for shipping back to China. Nick the Manager said there wasn’t anything they could do at this point. The customer service sucks and PayPal doesn’t protect our monies like I expected them to do and what they say they would do. Very disappointed In West HaveN Ct USA
Login to Me Too

very-confused
Contributor
Contributor

I'm on the OPPOSITE side of this problem.  I bought from a company.  They sent some but not all.. I sent a request for more info on the shipping.. they said it would be sent, but part was cancelled.  The stuff sent the sizing was way off, and I wanted to send it to get a different size, or get a refund.  They offered 40% and to keep the merchandise, said it would cost more to return it overseas.  I told them I thought 40% was a bit low, and they upped it to 50%, and then said they would also provide a shipping label / address for a return if I wanted the exchange but only with a 40% discount after ... and I had to pay for the shipping back to them and the shipping of the new item from them.  They also informed me that the other half of my order had finally shipped that very day and the sizes couldn't be amended... (How convenient)... and it would be between 10 to 20 business days before it would arrive... but, oh, they were sorry one of the tops was not going to be available or shipped at all.  I told them I'd take the 50% refund on the two tops I've received, the 40% on the other top that would arrive, and wanted a full refund on the top they weren't sending.  They said fine, but to mark the case "RESOLVED" BEFORE they refunded anything... (this is the company I was dealing with, not PayPal, but it was all done messaging on the PayPal site so they had copies of the communications).  I told them I'd like an amount to show what was going to be refunded.  They refused and said I had to mark the issue resolved first.  I told them again I needed PROOF of the amounts they said would be refunded.  They stopped responding to my emails.  I got in touch with Paypal.  After two attempts to get this mess straightened out Paypal has chosen,  still favoring the seller.  I still haven't gotten the second half of the order... and most likely the two items sent will not fit if it does arrive.  There was a scarf ordered.. it did come.. poorly made, but it did come. So I will have four out of six items that will be utterly useless to me and I've paid out the money to a company and gotten no help at all from PayPal.  I'm going to keep trying, but truthfully I don't know where to go to be heard, or to seriously get help if they refuse to dog into it like they should.  They are going by half heard conversations or genersalizarions on what THEY think is going on.  I wasn't trying to cheat anyone.  I just wanted what was fair.

Login to Me Too

Chevonnemw77
New Community Member
I agree 100%. PayPal has demonstrated that they are not out for the consumer whatsoever. I received a phony item from the seller in China for a hair straightener that did not function at all like as described. All I wanted to do was get an address to send it back and get a refund. The seller offered me half credit which I did not want all I wanted to do was return the item and get a refund. The item was said on their website to be a guaranteed success if you didn’t like the proper product you can get a full refund. Neither happened and I escalated the counter PayPal and they denied my claim. It happened again yesterday when I purchased an event ticket to a place up north and they offered additional price for parking nine dollars but when I got to the event there is free parking. I asked for a refund for the nine dollars I paid for parking which I never needed and they denies that as well. I am so over PayPal and I will not be using your services again. And like I said I’ve used them for many years and never had an issue but this takes the cake. I’ve never had these kind of issues with Amazon they’ve always taking items back without question in here PayPal is just ripping people off their money so that sellers can **bleep** me? I thought that was the whole point of PayPal. Rolling my eyes good bye
Login to Me Too

Simonfrancismcd
Contributor
Contributor
I know their connection to Ebay is apparently non existent if you have a complaint about them but if you do manage to complain they put limitations on your account and make you jump through hoops to get it reinstated I felt drained afterwards and they dont reply to the financial ombudsmen either
Login to Me Too

user12345678987
Contributor
Contributor

Considering they are pulling the same **bleep** were all **bleep**ing sick of, i posted a VERY **bleep** off post in the main forum. Best part, you cant even delete your **bleep**ing account unless you coll them. A corporation who cant read ONE **bleep**ing email, wants me to call them to delete an account that i should have the ability to delete. **bleep** SCAMPAL.

GET YOUR LAWYERS INVOLVED!

Login to Me Too

Opuspryme
Contributor
Contributor
Absolutely totally agree, 100%. This happened to me too with a buyer claiming the item was faulty when it definitely wasn’t. PayPal quick to refund the buyer, no questions asked, leaving the seller with nothing. Another thing about PayPal is how they randomly withhold money in your account. According to one ignorant customer rep, he told me that I was a ‘dormant seller’ even though though I had sold an item the previous month and the payment went through. This clown (called ‘Chris’) proceeded to tell me that under PayPal’s policy, unless you sell an item EVERY month, you’re payments will be put on hold and you’ll be classed as a ‘dormant seller’ who must wait 21 days for the funds to be released. You couldn’t make this up. He wants me to contact the seller so they can release the funds. What it the buyer is dishonest and decides to say they haven’t received the item? Of course PayPal will refund them and I’ll lose both the item and my money. Worse thing is, PayPal are quick to take their fees but slow to resolve seller’s claims. Sort it out PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.