Complaints to PayPal in their handling of disputes

mcqueenster
Contributor
Contributor

I need to make a formal complaint to PayPal regarding their method of dealing with disputes and claims. Anyone figured out to do this? Paypal appears to make this very difficult to do.

It appears from the resolution centre that I can only engage with PayPal if I have a dispute with another a buyer or seller, but not make a complaint directly to PayPal around the way their policies are applied.

My most recent dispute demonstrates a large hole in their customer buyer/seller process. Throughout this recent dispute I had minimal involvement and decisions made that I could not provide detail to. (the dispute process in the resolution centre is very restrictive on who and what information can be displayed)

Be wary of selling anything using the paypal payment system. Ebay provides the selling platform but it seems they do not need to get involved in any disputes. The dispute can go directly to Paypal , and it can be escalated from a dispute to a claim on the same day without any communication with the other party in the transaction. It is only at this time the other party is notified of the issue.

Some clever paypal users have figured out that they can receive an item, decide they don't want it any more, record it as "not as described" provide no more supporting information and say they have posted it back to the seller. All without any involvement or agreement with the seller.

All Paypal needs to reverse the payment transaction is to see a proof of posting. No checks are made with the seller that the item has actually arrived and is in the condition it was sent, or even if it was the same item that was sent. Many items are on ebay as no returns unless significantly not as described. Paypal appears to ignore this when managing the dispute process. The buyer should be responsible for confirming why the item is not as described and communicate this to the seller before requesting a return. Paypal doesn't check for this and provides a refund automatically, leaving the seller with a negative paypal balance and potentially no item, a damaged item, or a completely different item to that sent.

Has anyone else has similar PayPal experience?

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

Bossman77002

I was told by an upper-level PP associate that in disputes and claims, they don't necessarily even consider photographs as proof of condition as those photos can be shopped or of a different item.  The main problem I see in dealing  with their messaging system is that it's always different folks answering your messages, thereby completely misunderstanding.  I cannot tell you how many times I have had to explain something over and over again, only to have the case close in favor of the buyer.  I even had one PP guy ask me if I could take a set amount of money for an item ruined by the buyer (that they refunded) to settle the case.  I said "sure, would you like an appraisal for the current value?"  He said great...send it in and we'll settle it.  I did...at an additional $40 cost for the appraisal, and a week later, they declined my case.   

Login to Me Too

Meegzz1
Contributor
Contributor

The Complaint via Email : I'm going to put it in words because this platform won't let me post the email address which says a lot "<Removed>"

Login to Me Too

carolinemusson
New Community Member

I am absolutely furious with Paypal. Raised a dispute with them over a seller that I gave £49.99 to but never received the item and they never responded or replied to any of my emails. Trying to then escalate my claim with Paypal has cost me a further £40 in phone bill calling a number that never gets answered even after an hour. Their website doesn't work as they state it should either. They're robbers! I need to complain higher but don't know as yet who to go to.

Login to Me Too

Gezzz
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve just had this happen to me, shoes were sent, buyer opened a dispute said they were not as described then said they were 2 different sizes, which was a lie and without providing any proof at all, PayPal said that he had won the case ignoring what I had stated in my defence and my 100% feedback over 15 years. This stinks, PayPal needs to look into this behaviour of scam buyers and their treatment of genuine eBay sellers

Login to Me Too

Tnewtong
Contributor
Contributor

AGREED!!!! I've had the same problem but the opposite way - I'm the buyer who didn't receive an item, filed a claim, and when I got it it was the wrong item and I have zero idea how to talk to PayPal to update my claim with this detail. As far as I can tell PayPal will see that the item was shipped and my case will be resolved, and then the only way for me to amend the details is with an appeal -- this has been exhausting and so unhelpful!!!! I appreciate that we're in a pandemic and answering questions can be hard, but all the other big sites like Amazon at least have a chat feature in place. It's really not user friendly and I am definitely less likely to use PayPal based on their handling of my dispute. 

Login to Me Too

Lisako
Contributor
Contributor
I was a buyer who got a tennis ball instead of the ball thrower i ordered. The scammer just showed PayPal an invoice that they sent me something and PayPal ruled against me. Extremely unhappy with PayPal
Login to Me Too

kattattak1
Contributor
Contributor

I hope that this website will be helpful to everyone:

https://www.usa.gov/consumer-complaints

I lost a recent dispute / claim where the buyer's account was suspended on eBay due to suspicious activity, but yet the buyer was able to file an INAD claim, divert the return shipment to another address within the zip code in my town (99.9% sure it was a fake item), AND win the claim.  PayPal refused to accept a letter written on USPS letterhead that advised that the item sent by the buyer was not addressed to my PayPal registered address.

Login to Me Too

oakharbordeb
Contributor
Contributor

I made two purchases based on ads on Facebook. One order recieved was nothing like what was advertised - dispute was made in my favor - IF if return eht product to an address in China (not the address it came from) - the cost of shipping is more than what i paid for the product.  The second purchase, ordered two items and received one, again dispute in my favor but this time i have to make a return to Vietnam - again not the return address where the product shipped to me and the shipping costs would exceed the price paid for the product.  There seems to be a total disgreard of the buyer, even though we are supposed to have buyer protection.  I've filed complaints with the government for internet fraud in both cases, but who knows how that will go.  Any one else having issues like this? Anyone aware of a class action against PayPal for their part in these foreign scams?

Login to Me Too

Paraonelli
Same thing happened to me . Did you get anywhere making your complaints? Ive posted my story one here. Its a complete joke. Paypal is supposed to make shopping online safe but at the end of the day dont really care
Login to Me Too

Bluedruez
New Community Member
I have a similar situstion now... I sold an item on ebay in october 2018...on feburuary 1st 2019 the buyer oppened a dispute claim with paypal stating the item which he received was FAKE Paypal went ahead and escalated the claim and put a hold on the funds in my PayPal account without my permission it took me four days on the phone trying to find out who to send pictures off the receipts which show that I purchase the items from legitimate vendors PayPal has still to make a decision PayPal policies regarding sellers and service protection is incorrect is faulty please very biased the cellar is not protected by eBay the seller is not protected by PayPal theseller is left in a horrible situation PayPal assumes that the seller is at fault the buyer does not have to prove anything all the bird has to do is file a complaint that the item is disputing is not described correctly are request a refund and he may keep the item this becomes a one-person playing field favoring the buyer the shutter is left with no other means... I will not sell another item on eBay platform because PayPal does not protect the seller in fact PayPal will refund the payment up to six months after the sale has been completed this is horrible no more eBay no more PayPal
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.