Complaints to PayPal in their handling of disputes

mcqueenster
Contributor
Contributor

I need to make a formal complaint to PayPal regarding their method of dealing with disputes and claims. Anyone figured out to do this? Paypal appears to make this very difficult to do.

It appears from the resolution centre that I can only engage with PayPal if I have a dispute with another a buyer or seller, but not make a complaint directly to PayPal around the way their policies are applied.

My most recent dispute demonstrates a large hole in their customer buyer/seller process. Throughout this recent dispute I had minimal involvement and decisions made that I could not provide detail to. (the dispute process in the resolution centre is very restrictive on who and what information can be displayed)

Be wary of selling anything using the paypal payment system. Ebay provides the selling platform but it seems they do not need to get involved in any disputes. The dispute can go directly to Paypal , and it can be escalated from a dispute to a claim on the same day without any communication with the other party in the transaction. It is only at this time the other party is notified of the issue.

Some clever paypal users have figured out that they can receive an item, decide they don't want it any more, record it as "not as described" provide no more supporting information and say they have posted it back to the seller. All without any involvement or agreement with the seller.

All Paypal needs to reverse the payment transaction is to see a proof of posting. No checks are made with the seller that the item has actually arrived and is in the condition it was sent, or even if it was the same item that was sent. Many items are on ebay as no returns unless significantly not as described. Paypal appears to ignore this when managing the dispute process. The buyer should be responsible for confirming why the item is not as described and communicate this to the seller before requesting a return. Paypal doesn't check for this and provides a refund automatically, leaving the seller with a negative paypal balance and potentially no item, a damaged item, or a completely different item to that sent.

Has anyone else has similar PayPal experience?

Login to Me Too
59 REPLIES 59

Meegzz1
Contributor
Contributor

The email bounced back referring to the "contact Us" option.

Make a complaint to your consumer ombudsman

Login to Me Too

Meegzz1
Contributor
Contributor

Complaint via Phone number : <Removed>

The Complaint via Email : I'm going to put it in words because this platform won't let me post the email address which says a lot " <Removed>"

Complaint via  Support Form :   <Removed>

Paypal complaint website  <Removed>

Tweet:  <Removed>

Corporate Head Office address

<Removed>, Australia

Login to Me Too

Sazzy18
New Community Member

I am currently asking that same question to PayPal. The guy changed his mind, they refunded and I haven't received item yet. eBay says PayPal won't refund until I have received item!!!!????

Login to Me Too

BughouseMaster
New Community Member
So what the hell can we do then? I also experienced this exact problem and just today after waiting 5 months after this transaction including three months for the buyers financial institution to rule against me, I finally got the notification with the bad news the PayPal debit add the funds from my account putting me out of negative balance!!! Aside from calling them and waiting on hold for several hours I don't know what else to do... I even submitted 16 pages of screenshots as proof that the buyer indeed agreed on his purchase yet he simply scammed me by saying he never got the merchandise!!! Absolutely Terrible!! Anyway if someone knows how to remedy this so I can get my money back please let me know.
Login to Me Too

PPnogo
New Community Member

We have also been scammed in a similar situation .... 

Sold an Item on ebay , buyer claimed it did not work in his player.  Opened up a dispute , ebay made me accept the request to return and said a refund would be done when i received the merchandise.  Guess what ? What i received was not the merchandise , it was an empty envelop .  

I contacted paypal to let them know i did NOT receive the merchandise back.  It made no difference , they gave a refund to the buyer anyway and that was that . 

They do not protect sellers at all , which  not good as they earn the fees off of us sellers.  

I am now looking for other possibilities but paypal does have such a worldwide name that its hard to suggest something new to the customers, either you offer paypal and get ripped off (loss of merchandise and money) or you use a different P2P service that no buyer wants to use cause they dont have any protection ...its a lose lose situation.

Login to Me Too

charleyrich
Contributor
Contributor

If PayPal refuses to resolve a transaction where I paid for a product and received nothing, where do I go?  IS there a consumer protection bureau for internet transactions?

They reviewed and closed my dispute the same day without speaking with me and will not let me appeal the resolution.

Very frustrated...

Login to Me Too

oakharbordeb
Contributor
Contributor
I had same thing - I went to Consumer Protection and they were worthless.
Login to Me Too

Linda1968
Contributor
Contributor

Just had the exact same thing happen to me - buyer receives item tells a pack of lies and apparently everything I did to prevent this situation is irrelevant as Paypal will side with the buyer.

I have time dates photos and video showing the item working as it was sent

I paid for insurance to avoid any damage and for the item to be professionally packaged

I have all the messages between me and the seller where she declined my offer and advice to come and see the machine and test it.

None of that is apparently relevant to paypal.

My account is now showing a negative balance, I have no machine and am £57 postage out of pocket on top.

I am going to the ombudsman and if that doesn't work I will take Paypal to small claims for lack of duty of care to me as their client, putting me at a financial disadvantage  and damaging my credit rating.

No idea if it will work but I am tired of being conned by big companies like this. 

I have also closed the bank account with debit card that is linked to this account so good luck to them trying to get the money.

I am furious that a company can be allowed to treat their customers - the people who they make money from - like this.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220130l

HI, just read your tale of woe about Paypal on the community site: did you ever take the matter further though the ombudsman? Did Paypal pursue you for the money? I am asking because I have a very similar issue currently with a seller and Paypal, so would like to know what happened in the end with your case. BWs

Login to Me Too

indialogue
Contributor
Contributor

The answer is to never use Paypal again.  I bought an item I never received, and I've been waiting weeks for a resolution.  There is absolutely no way to contact any customer service person for help.  I'll be damned if I'll wait on hold for 2+ hours to talk with someone.  It's simply not worth the hassle I'll be closing my account.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.