Closing my account

Jay1912
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Does anyone on this forum know how to get the staff at paypal to let me close my account due to the limitations in place?

I was requested by paypal to provide extra ID and other information which i do not feel is necessary, moreover it is intrusive and i'm not prepared to allow this company to access my personal details other than which is already provided. 

I have used paypal for a number of years, but, due to this issue i wish to close my account. 

I have contacted customer services a number of times and have only had 2 actual replies back. One was a reply about alternative info they would accept. The other one was nicely sarcastic, asking me "What is my problem?"... Professionalism at it's best... I have now asked to close the account at least 4 times but, have heard nothing back.

Is there anyone who can suggest an action to take other than providing the info required?... Also i still have funds in my account on hold due to the limitations

Thanks

Jay

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jay1912 

When an account is limited, it can't be closed. It is suspended in perpetual until you supply the information to restore use of the account. You and many others may think it not necessary to provide such information but PayPal is a serious financial instrument and real world laws and regulations are fast being applicable to the virtual. You can't go rogue when it comes to finances anymore. Users have to prove they are legit and PayPal have to comply with regulations and so are gathering our information for identity and tax reporting purposes (if you meet the thresholds). So the choice is yours. Restore your account or just move on because essentially, consider your account already closed if you don't.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jay1912 

When an account is limited, it can't be closed. It is suspended in perpetual until you supply the information to restore use of the account. You and many others may think it not necessary to provide such information but PayPal is a serious financial instrument and real world laws and regulations are fast being applicable to the virtual. You can't go rogue when it comes to finances anymore. Users have to prove they are legit and PayPal have to comply with regulations and so are gathering our information for identity and tax reporting purposes (if you meet the thresholds). So the choice is yours. Restore your account or just move on because essentially, consider your account already closed if you don't.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Jay1912
Contributor
Contributor

woo there shirty pants.

I'm quite aware of the legalities and the motions of a 'serious financial instrument'. I also understand that to continue using my account it is supposedly necessary to provide the required information. But, as I don't wish to provide said info and as a result want to close my account then I should be able to without duress.

As I understand then, if I want to close my account, I have to supply my personal information? Wait for approval? Then once approved, i can press the close my account button?! In the meanwhile paypal has information about me that isn't required anymore. Or is it???? 

I thank you for your reply. Although it was a little patronising. 

Maybe someone out there can be more helpful????????????

Login to Me Too

Jay1912
Contributor
Contributor

This was not solved...

More intelligent replies would be appreciated. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.