Close PayPal Account without Providing SSN

ScottC2020
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I haven't used my PayPal at all since signing up for it. I accidentally clicked on their debit card sign up link in an email they sent and now my account is restricted. I can't close my PayPal account at all until I send an image of my SSN. I refuse to do this because of how dangerous that is, as well as what they outline in PayPal's privacy statement: 

"The types of personal information we collect and share depend on the product or service you have with us.  This information can include:

• Social Security number and account balances

"

I just want to close my account. Haven't used it, haven't requested money, sent money, nothing. I will not send an image of my SSN over the internet, especially to a company that claims they will "collect and share" that information.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ScottC2020 

https://www.paypal.com/in/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-close-my-paypal-account-faq1215?app=searchAutoC...

If that doesn't work then.............

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ScottC2020
Contributor
Contributor
But that’s my problem. I can’t close the account until I “verify” a state ID and my SSN. If I could’ve closed my account that way I wouldn’t have posted here to begin with. I was planning on calling tomorrow morning, but I posted my question here in case there was anything else I could do.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ScottC2020 

WHICH IS WHY I SAID...............

If that doesn't work then.............

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@ScottC2020 

Call them and speak to a person (preferably in the USA).

I’ve my account for over 20 years now. I don’t have a SSN as I’m not a resident in the US but have a US bank and debit card.  Due to fraudulent activity they also froze my account until I called and spoke to a person.

Hope it works out for you.

Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MY-Canuck 

US paypal accounts due to a new policy now have to provide SSNs if they are sellers or want to hold a paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Ah. That’s why when I have funds in they want to see if I want to transfer to my bank right away..and yes, if I don’t they want ‘details’..

Thanks.

Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.