Claim failed - scammed and concert ticket never sent to me.

brannigd
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed last week and in the resolution centre the option "item not received" was not available so I had to pick the option "unauthorised transaction".

Paypal subsequently sent me an email saying that my claim has failed, gave me no reason and it does not appear that I can appeal through the resolution centre.

I called the Irish office and was told by a representative that I should just take the issue up with my bank (which was ironic as they appeared to believe I was defrauded but didn't care and said I should stop my bank!!). I asked for a copy of the T&Cs (and reference to the section) where it said I could not get my money back if I never received an item. It was not sent through friends and family. 

What is the next step to resolve this? I set up a Paypal account in order to make this transaction and to avoid being defrauded.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brannigd 

If you ''only'' had the option to open an unauthorised dispute then it must have been sent using the friends/family option OR a friends/family personal paypal.me link.

As such buyer protection was negated and you couldn't file a dispute for non receipt of item.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brannigd 

If you ''only'' had the option to open an unauthorised dispute then it must have been sent using the friends/family option OR a friends/family personal paypal.me link.

As such buyer protection was negated and you couldn't file a dispute for non receipt of item.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

brannigd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. 

As this person is not friend/family of mine and I clearly was not meant to send it in a personal capacity I was not offered a chance to appeal and explain this situation.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brannigd 

The fact you didn't mean to do it as sad but doesn't make any difference.

Paypal cannot force another person to send you back money you sent as a 'gift' payment.

However if you funded that paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you.

They may decline as well as it wasn't a payment for goods but worth a try.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

brannigd
Contributor
Contributor

I've just read over the conversation with the scammer. He/She asked me to sent it through the friends and family option so that's what I must have done.

I've read the T&Cs and this is prohibited on the side of the seller and I have screenshots of the conversation asking me to do so with the registered email of the scammer. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@brannigd 

Yep sellers aren't supposed to ask you to pay that way and equally you should not be using it to pay sellers.

You can report him for doing so and if he continues then his account may be limited.

Sadly won't make any difference to you getting a refund though.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.