Claim denied but refund issued days later?

babyanig
Contributor
Contributor

Okay so I opened a case which was denied and well, PayPal told me to contact my bank. So I contacted my bank and went on with my dispute with this seller who I believe had no intention of sending me a product. (Also made me send friends and family payment, but in my defense I just wanted my product, so yes stupid me did it). But now all of a sudden under the case details (which is now supposed to be closed might I add again) it says the seller refunded me. But I don't see the refund anywhere else on my account. Does this mean the bank won my dispute with PayPal and got my money back? Does this mean the seller sent my money back as not to get hurt by PayPal? What does it mean to have that amount refunded in the case but not anywhere else on my account? I hope I'm making sense now.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@babyanig

Its against paypal rules to buy and use the friends / family option and that is why you would have lost the dispute.

HOWEVER its also against the rules to SELL and use that option so Paypal may well have put some pressure on the seller to refund OR it could have been your bank only they would know that.

However as you where your refund is is dependent on how you funded it in the first place.

If you funded the original Paypal payment to the seller with a debit or credit card then it won't go back to your paypal balance.

Once marked as completed it will automatically go back to your bank account or credit card but takes up to a week to process through to the bank and a bit longer for a c.c (Paypal say allow 30 days but I have never waited longer than a week for mine, the last one taking 4 days).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

babyanig
Contributor
Contributor
But the actual refund does not show up in my "activity" section which is why I'm confused
Login to Me Too

Barrgan1969
Contributor
Contributor

Excuse me did you ever get your money back? I got a weird email from PayPal saying my dispute was closed also. The seller forced me to pay via Friends and Family also or he would not deal with me. He then took my money and ran. But When I open the closed case it says the transaction was going to be refunded to my original payment? It says excalty "Transactions refunded" and it shows the money I sent the scammer. Then it shows "The money will be refunded to the original payment method." Please let me know this is driving my nuts.

Login to Me Too

Mayraj
Contributor
Contributor
Hi ! Did you figured out if you got the money back ? Something very similar happened to me I got scammed with fake gold and I use the send money feature so the case was denied but now on the case says refunded and it says the money will be refunded to the original payment method, now I can't confirm with the bank because it was my dad's debit card and the bank would not give me any information since it's not my account , let me know please. And thanks in advance
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mayraj

If you paid a seller and were scammed > opened a dispute > sellers funds were then 'held' > you lost the dispute > funds are released from the hold back to the original payment method ie back to the seller.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.