Chinese scammers found a way to fool Paypal Users

FrankJG
Contributor
Contributor

I found this in the hardway. 

Chinese scammers have found a way to use Paypal to rob users. This is how they do it.

They open a ecommerce site in a free service called ECWID. This site will use Paypal in their stores. Then they sell in that site a lot of very expensive products at a very low price, examples:

<removed>

<removed>

Then they open a new Facebook business account which give you $10 to promote your business. Then they start promoting these deals, saying that they are based in New York and they have run into some issues with their Stock and they need to sell their merchandise. Usually they have another account that post in that same post at Facebook comments saying that this is for real and that he bought an item from the promoted store and they go it. 

So, because the price is always around $100 you decide to take the risk and buy the product paying using paypal thinking that you are protected. After a while you see that nothing is shipped, you start sending emails that are not responded, at one point you send an email to the email that received your payment in paypal saying that you will open a dispute because the item is not shipped. Right there the status in the site changes from Processing to Shipped without a Tracking number. Of course you will ask about it and they either do not respond or give you a bunch of excuses the idea is to waste your time and get you out of the 30 days period to open the dispute. If you open a dispute you will of course mention that you have not received the item and that you never received a tracking number and here is where things get interesting. They ship you a little $1 dollar item to obtain in this way a tracking number to give Paypal. Paypal sees the tracking number which is valid and closes the case. 

Here is an article describing the service that this Chinese scammers use to send you those cheap items and a picture that I took of the one sent to me. <removed>

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2019/10/25/americans-are-still-receiving-unordered-packages...

To ship the article they use a chinese company <removed> LIMITED with offices in Chino, California. 

Here is an email sent to the scammer where I point that there is not any tracking number

<removed>

Paypal has removed a way to appeal cases and this is one of the reasons why I have decided to come public denouncing this case. 

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

Jessicajay0608
New Community Member
If you stay on Paypal they will refund your money, you just have to be diligent, but I will say this, it is not easy...
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.