Chinese company scam?

spacegeek33
Contributor
Contributor

I just discovered that $14K (over 4 transactions in 2 weeks) has been removed from one of my checking accounts through PayPal and a chinese corporation <removed> and <removed>) without my authorization.   I am in the process of disputing the transactions with my bank.  I had not linked this particular account to PayPal but nonetheless the withdrawals were made.   I wanted to be sure the PayPal community is aware.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Mc82489
New Community Member
This is currently happening to me as well. Two transactions for far less money. I just disputed this past Friday. We’re you able to recover your funds and has it happened since?
Login to Me Too

NachoArmadillo
Contributor
Contributor

This came up in my charges, but when I looked elsewhere this aligned with a purchase I made with GTHIC.com if that helps? It may be another business name processing the charge on behalf of a website you bought something on...?

Login to Me Too

Anna19651
Contributor
Contributor
Printabel company scam i saw rug pictures on there site and looked to me like they were good quality. So I unknowingly bought 2 rugs when arrived it looked like plastic it was packed in a cheap bag all squashed up had creases all over....I paid over 140 for smaller one and close to 190 for bigger one...Now i opened 2 disputes with paypal first one i got a refund as the address was the right one...Numerous emails ive sent to the company Printabel i was told a new address to send the larger rug back which i sent to the address that was given...Not to mention the cost of sending both rugs back... I even sent the reciepts tracking number to the company and paypal... Turns out i did not recieve a refund as promised and paypal could not get a refund for me because they said i sent it to the wrong address... Ridiculous because I have proof of being told to send the rug to the address i did... I still 6 months later try to send a email which I did today only to be told not right email address... Very unsatisfied customer🙄
Login to Me Too

BonMu
Contributor
Contributor
I wonder why PayPal allows these Chinese guys get away with everything, they are robbing people clean
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BonMu 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.

So they give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The BEST thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.