Chinese SCAM - Tongue Drum PayPal Facebook/Instagram Adverts

DEBSM6
Contributor
Contributor

3rd August 2002 Through an advert on by Pencilciang Facebook I ordered a Steel Tongue Drum.

I received a confirmation from Pencilciang that the shipment was on its way 3 weeks ago with the tracking number LX204944417CN. 

7th August 2020 I received a small package with the same tracking number LX204944417CN. However, inside was not the 1 Steel Tongue Drum that I ordered. The contents were a boxed, un-marked, yellow metal ring which I did not order. 

10th August 2020 I emailed the seller informing them of the error but had no response. 

10th August 2020 tried to contact the seller in response to this message on the PayPal resolution "Message from Communication Equipment Operation Department The goods don't 'match the description? "Dear Customer, If the product you received doesn't match the description, please contact our account manager to take the fast refund channel -<removed> The refund will be completed within 1 working day, please don't submit PayPal customer complaint, because PayPal processing needs at least 15 working days to complete. Have a nice day. Best wishes" 

I emailed the address <removed> as instructed and it was immediately returned as 'Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender' 

10th August 2020 requested a full refund $42.97 from PayPal and said I will return the item they have sent when they refund me in full and in addition reimburse the cost of the postage - calculated at £12.95.

14th August 2020 I receive an email from the seller saying if I close the claim they will refund 70% of the value of the item without me needing to return the item but they cannot do this while the claim is open. 

Return address on email

Consignee Zhengwei.   Address: <removed>, Jixiang Garden, Bantian Street, Longgang District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China

18th August 2020 Response from seller via PayPal - asked me to return the SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) item to China and pay shipping costs myself before getting a full refund with a response required from me within 10 days. 

Return address (translated from Chinese) on Paypal response

<removed>, Wuchang District, Wuhan City, Hubei China. (COMPLETELY different from initial address supplied.

This is clearly a Chinese SCAM that PayPal is supporting. 

There is no other way to respond to PayPal than by uploading tracking information of returned item. 

Many similar cases of this SCAM are reported on these PayPal community forum pages

Most of these find in favour of the seller with no protection for the buyer form PayPal.   Why are Paypal supporting the scammers and not their customers??

BUYER BEWARE!  DON’T BUY THROUGH FACEBOOK OR INSTAGRAM ADS!! 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DEBSM6
Contributor
Contributor

SUCCESS!!

After recieveig a reply from Paypal that I should return the item through tracked post before a refund could be given it appeared that there was no way to respond but to complete the tracking information and return the item.

However, I completed the tracking number with "12345Idonthaveone" and attached 2 further emails from the seller offering a percentage refund in return for cancelling the dispute. I also contacted PayPal via the Message centre to raise it as an issue. 

I was advised by the message centre to activate PayPal's Return Shipping on Us service and return the item and they added "Please do let me know if you have any doubts on the above steps or the dispute case or even any other account related issues. I will be more than happy to assist you"

So, it responded that I had doubts  on the steps advised. I have no faith that the seller will acknowledge receipt of the item that I send. I have have been given 2 different addresses and looking at the pay pal forum on Chinese scams it appears that, even if you send a tracked item they still deny receiving it. The supporting evidence is clear the this is a scam that PayPal are supporting and do so in many may cases reading the community forums. I have now had another email from the seller offering a 50% refund which I have said I will accept but I will only cancel the dispute when I have received it as I understand that I cannot return to a dispute once it has been closed. ( I added screen shot of 2 further emails from the seller)

Within 2 hours I have received a reply from PayPal Disputes and Claims Department as follows:

"I've gone through the conversation and I'm sorry for the inconvenience this transaction has caused you because it appears that you've received a completely different item. Of course, PayPal doesn't tolerate any who does these acts as we always ensure that we have a safe environment for both buyers and sellers. You've been a loyal PayPal customer for 16 years now so I am pleased to inform you that I've closed the case and decided it in your favor. You don't need to return the item as I already processed your refund for $42.97 USD. Once the refund is issued, this will be credited to your card within 5 business days or up to 1 billing cycle depending on your card company policy. Thank you so much for your time and cooperation with us in resolving this matter"
SO, perseverance worked for me. Screen shot everything and if its not immediately clear how to respond follow another route like contacting the messaging centre.
Faith in PayPal restored but they could make it clearer for the customer!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

DEBSM6
Contributor
Contributor

SUCCESS!!

After recieveig a reply from Paypal that I should return the item through tracked post before a refund could be given it appeared that there was no way to respond but to complete the tracking information and return the item.

However, I completed the tracking number with "12345Idonthaveone" and attached 2 further emails from the seller offering a percentage refund in return for cancelling the dispute. I also contacted PayPal via the Message centre to raise it as an issue. 

I was advised by the message centre to activate PayPal's Return Shipping on Us service and return the item and they added "Please do let me know if you have any doubts on the above steps or the dispute case or even any other account related issues. I will be more than happy to assist you"

So, it responded that I had doubts  on the steps advised. I have no faith that the seller will acknowledge receipt of the item that I send. I have have been given 2 different addresses and looking at the pay pal forum on Chinese scams it appears that, even if you send a tracked item they still deny receiving it. The supporting evidence is clear the this is a scam that PayPal are supporting and do so in many may cases reading the community forums. I have now had another email from the seller offering a 50% refund which I have said I will accept but I will only cancel the dispute when I have received it as I understand that I cannot return to a dispute once it has been closed. ( I added screen shot of 2 further emails from the seller)

Within 2 hours I have received a reply from PayPal Disputes and Claims Department as follows:

"I've gone through the conversation and I'm sorry for the inconvenience this transaction has caused you because it appears that you've received a completely different item. Of course, PayPal doesn't tolerate any who does these acts as we always ensure that we have a safe environment for both buyers and sellers. You've been a loyal PayPal customer for 16 years now so I am pleased to inform you that I've closed the case and decided it in your favor. You don't need to return the item as I already processed your refund for $42.97 USD. Once the refund is issued, this will be credited to your card within 5 business days or up to 1 billing cycle depending on your card company policy. Thank you so much for your time and cooperation with us in resolving this matter"
SO, perseverance worked for me. Screen shot everything and if its not immediately clear how to respond follow another route like contacting the messaging centre.
Faith in PayPal restored but they could make it clearer for the customer!

Login to Me Too

So1dier11
Contributor
Contributor
if only PayPal was as helpful to me, they are forcing me to jump through all the hoops which you mentioned in your post, even when I have posted the item back and provide postage informationand photos as proof, PayPal send me messages saying 'we require further information' but won't tell me what this information is and will not take my phone calls. Today I have attempted to speak to someone and have been bounced around, I am now on hold yet again and have been for an hour and 10 minutes
Login to Me Too

1scammed
New Community Member

DEBSM6,

I applaud your tenacity.  The little alloy steel tongue drum looked like a nice addition to a classroom assortment of "music makers" for young students.

(I did receive 2 short sticks with little ball heads.  One might consider that as a percussion instrument.)  1scammed.  

Login to Me Too

Elzorro213
Contributor
Contributor

We should organize and find a way to file a class action suit against PayPal and Facebook. They are accomplices to these Chinese scams they are being made aware of them and do nothing. Many times they rule in favor of the thieves. This is not right.

Login to Me Too

So1dier11
Contributor
Contributor
I completely agree, they are complicit and clearly making money from this
Login to Me Too

RoebuckJeffrey
New Community Member

I know exactly how you feel... On an Apple app, I saw an ad for a retail store somewhat like Fingerhut, but with a smaller number of items. Some were "As Seen on TV" items, some were nice items at a large discount, and fast shipping comments were made throughout.  Being an advertiser with Apple, I felt pretty safe ordering from them, and since I pay  for almost every purchase I make online, I felt that PayPal would back me up if there was any problem.  I purchased $241.00 of hard to find items. I received an invoice and a receipt and a message stating I would receive a tracking number in 2-3 days when they shipped it.  After a week of not hearing from them, I emailed them asking for the tracking number, and within two days I received it.  After tracking, I found the package in China waiting to be taken to the airport. TWO MONTHS LATER, it was STILL in China.  I contacted them and was told I should be more patient, and blamed the coronavirus for the problem.... SO i escaladed the complaint..ALL I WANTED WAS MY MONEY BACK... ANOTHER MONTH later, (NOW A TOTAL OF THREE MONTHS LATER) these people claims the package is inside the USA, but the US Mail does not have possession of it.....YET PAYPAL CLOSED THE CLAIM, WITH THE DESCRIPTION THAT IT'S BEING SHIPPED AND DELAYED BY CARONAVIRUS,  AND FOUND IN FAVOR OF THESE CHINESE SCAMMERS!  Three months? Delay?  OK, right!  And what's worse, PayPal CLOSED the complaint, and it can NOT be reopened. If a year goes by and I do not receive my package, there is no way I can even complain about it because of the way they closed it!  They cannot convince me that the package is on the way!  DO NOT COUNT ON PAYPAL TO HAVE YOUR BACK!  I am absolutely SO irate with paypal...the assurance of their buyer protection ONLY EXISTS ON ADVERTISEME

Login to Me Too

Nanamagick
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same issue, cannot get a refund and PayPal have closed case finding in the company’s favour. I cannot find how to appeal the decision, it’s so obviously a scam 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.