Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

China “sending wrong item” scam

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: China “sending wrong item” scam

I have actually had a lucky escape this time, it cost £20 to send the boots back of which Paypal paid £18. I shipped the boots back to the address the seller and Paypal provided and no surprises no answer and no one went to collect them from the local delivery office. Perhaps the seller thought if he did not collect them he would not have to refund me, **however, because I had fulfilled my part of the bargain Paypal refunded me in full** and the boots are now on their way back to me *undelivered* so although not the boots I wanted I am getting a pair of boots for free!

I don't feel guilty in the slightest, the seller tried to defraud me and deserves everything he gets!

I will never be buying off Facebook marketplace again though, it is not regulated properly and too many scammers on there!

Highlighted

I didn't review the online company before purchasing a $73 item, but had I googled matastore.club, I would have immediately found how fraudulent they were. But I ordered a full sized bicycle. When I reported them to PayPal, matastore immediately sent me a child's plastic green whistle. When I reported that, I received an email from PayPal that I need to mail it back to the company, which was in China, then they would agree to refund my $73. All they would do is deny they received anything, so I'm out the shipping cost as well. They found a legal loophole. The best thing I know to do is cancel my complaint.
Highlighted
Contributor

" All they would do is deny they received anything, so I'm out the shipping cost as well. They found a legal loophole. The best thing I know to do is cancel my complaint."

NO! Don't' cancel your complaint!

First of all, Paypal will pay up to £18 towards the postage, secondly, it doesn't matter if the seller denies getting it back or the postmen get no reply at the address you post it back to, as long as you have sent it back *international tracked and signed* and Paypal can see that and can see there was an attempted delivery of the item to the address the seller gave you, you WILL get your money back from Paypal. I did!

Regards

Tony

Highlighted
Contributor

There are several websites that can help verify if the company you're ordering from is "real" or not. Scamvoid.net is a good one. And there is a Facebook page called "what I ordered, what I got" that has a running list of scam companies (almost all from China).

I learned my lessons; first, anything that is 50% or more less than anyone else is selling it for is probably a scam, especially from some odd website. Second, don't trust PayPal to help you. They seem to work for the thieves, not the victims. Lucky for me this lesson only cost me $52.

Highlighted
Contributor

I would like to say Pay pal needs to pay attention to the customer...many photo's were sent to pay pal in this resolution case... I had ordered a Lounge chair....A small envelope came to the post office with said TRACKING NUMBER on it,Inside was a PIECE OF STYROFOAM,so I reported this and opened up a case in the Resolution Center for Help !!...pay pal contacts Seller....Seller says Order was received with said TRACKING NUMBER on the package....What a JOKE,How in the hell are they going to cram a Lounge Chair /Cushion in that small Envelope....Yeah it had the TRACKING NUMBER ON IT.PAY PAL CLOSED THE CASE,saying I received my ORDER... They sided with the Seller...WOW....I really don't have any Faith in pay pal's help after this.....So I contacted my Credit Card company with a Dispute on this payment.....   THANKS ALOT PAY PAL FOR YOUR HELP>>>>WHAT KINDA PEOPLE DO YOU HAVE WORKING FOR YOU? Clearly you could see I was ripped off by looking at the photo's I had sent !!! Are your Employee's Blind ?

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@joniwelch 

Sounds as if you opened a dispute for 'non receipt of item'? 

Paypals dispute processes are mostly automated so you file non receipt and the seller has trackable proof of delivery then they win.

Why did you not open a dispute for 'item received but not as described' then you would probably have succeeded.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Highlighted
Contributor

My initial Paypal claim for 'item not received' failed as per the tracking. I complained and then had my claim re-submitted as 'significantly not as described' and was successful. So, if you receive anything at all then you should make the claim as 'significantly not as described'.
Highlighted
Contributor

Same here... I placed the order and never heard from the seller. I was unable to open a claim in PayPal for 30 days if I remember right. So I initially filed a item not received case. Paypal then allowed like 10 days for the seller to respond and he sent the China Post tracking number. They then gave the package 3 or 4 more weeks to arrive before I could move to the next step. Then I got the package and it was of course not what I ordered so I had to change the claim to item not as described. Then the whole dispute process starts all over again. So here I am 3 1/2 months later and surely the seller got his money 2 months ago.

Highlighted
Contributor

I sent photo's of an envelope with said tracking number on it...had a piece of Styrofoam in it....

Clearly pay pal could see it was NOT a Lounge chair,yet they sided with the seller,

cause seller said I received the tracking number with Merchandise 😞

What kinda people work for them,I have no faith that pay pal is there for us !

They helped on ripping me off... yes I did turn to my Credit Card Co. for help !

Highlighted
Contributor

I sent photo's of an envelope with said tracking number on it...had a piece of Styrofoam in it....

Clearly pay pal could see it was NOT a Lounge chair,yet they sided with the seller,

cause seller said I received the tracking number with Merchandise 😞

What kinda people work for them,I have no faith that pay pal is there for us !

They helped on ripping me off... yes I did turn to my Credit Card Co. for help !

yes you may be right,on wrong Item sent.