Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

China “sending wrong item” scam

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: China “sending wrong item” scam

I'm going through the same issue..I was scammed 3 times..in a month..I feel like I am getting the run around on it..I got a refund back on one for 39.00 because the seller never sent the item..but the other 2.. one sent a packet of pegs..when I purchased a portable washing machine...the other one sent a package of mask...the first one PayPal said they got in contact with the seller..blah blah blah.. basically they want me to send the packet of pegs back and pay for the shipping cost...which I told them..when I do that the seller will automatically say they didn't receive the item I sent back..so basically I'm **bleep**..I seen all the post people put on here..I don't know what to do..but I did make a complaint to my bank and told them about what all PayPal wasn't really doing to help get my money back..they are treating the buyers like they are the scammers and letting the scammers get away with it...ugh it's a bunch of bull
Highlighted
Contributor

same hete but i tried to dispute it the next day i tried finding cancel order on webpage....funny thing is it says signature required so im not signing and accepting it lol
Highlighted
Contributor

I too have been sent wrong item from a Chinese seller of electric shears 50% off limited time offer, five star recommended product advertised on Facebook. Research shows they trade and link and sell this product under a number names. Once again email us for correct postal address and return for full refund, cautioning if they don't receive in 14 days no refund. Offered 20% refund instead with me more out of pocket whatever happens. Surely PayPal can suspend their email linked banking account at a flick of a button to stop further fraud. I am out of pocket well over $100 AUD, plus a further $30 AUD to return a pair of cheap $15 AUD mechanical shears and a travellers adapter plug, what a scam. After reading this forum I have no confidence in purchasing anything online overseas again using PayPal Especially from China, I just wish I knew I was sending my money to China someway in the transaction with a 'pop up' advising me as such as this would (and will now) make me reconsider any purchases. 

Highlighted
Contributor

I ordered a car seat organizer - the advert was on Facebook... I was suspicious, but I've wanted a cup holder (which was in the picture of the product) for a long time and this looked like a neat solution. A couple of months later having read the other entries in this thread, it was exactly the same scam everyone fell for. 

Come on Facebook and PayPal... have we returned to the early years of internet purchasing? Scams like this were eliminated years ago as companies realized the potential of on-line shopping and the risks these scams bring to all authentic retailers. Tighten up lads... you ask me to authenticate myself a hundred times over, yet you let crooks use your services to rob your customers.

Shame on you... and to the sellers, the culprits, they need locked up.

Highlighted
Contributor

Following a problem with Paypal and a seller in China not sending the correct item, I have now updated my payment with Paypal to credit card hoping to get more protection.  My understanding is that credit cards do offer protection against fraudulent or mis-sold products.   I now intend to directly use my credit card for all foreign transactions wherever this is possible, and by-pass Paypal when possible, and where this is not an option I will be wary of the seller.

Where I 'do have to' use Paypal and there is a problem with the purchase and I report to my credit card company, the credit card company will put the amount into 'pending' while dealing with Paypal and NOT the seller.

Has anyone had any experience of this ?  How would/do Paypal respond to potentially losing money when the fault is with a 3rd party ?

Highlighted
Contributor

Alas it would appear I have fallen victim to this as well. A pair of Timberland boots that turned out to be cheap knockoffs nothing like the originals. Had the paltry offer and now faced with £25 postage bill to return. Surely this can't be legal? Surely this can't be allowed to happen by PayPal? Can nothing be done?

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Papa_Bear 

Its legal to sell fakes in China so if you buy from China expect fakes or tat.

Cheap means normally fake.

Paypal does give you 'some' buyer protection but its not a warranty or insurance and does not cover you for everything.

All they promise is that if you get an item misdescribed then they will get you a refund on return of the item.

If you didn't have to return the item then lots of buyers would just yell fake with no proof and keep item and money.

Thats why you have to bear in mind where you purchase from and what country knowing that paypal only give you 'some' of the return shipping costs if you have activated the below link.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Also fund your paypal payment via a credit card for a second layer of protection, BUT even some credit cards are requiring return of the item first.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Highlighted
Contributor

Yes, you should expect and likely receive 'fakes' when expensive items are sold at way too low prices from another country.

However there appear to be a problem when the purchase is $30-$50 and the seller sends the WRONG item and then offers a partial refund saying it would cost you over $20 (at your cost) to send it back tracked. There is then some suspicion that they then never issue the refund(?)

ADVICE: if you receive any item at all (e.g. a couple of pencils instead of a teddy bear) then DON'T raise the dispute with Paypal as 'Item Not Received' as the seller will provides delivery/receipt and your claim fails - despite the fact you did not receive the item ordered.  You should raise the dispute as 'Significantly Not As Described - even then Paypal will insist you pay to return the wrong item to 'hopefully' get a refund.   I believe(?) that sellers in China can make use of very low cost tracking deliveries not available to us the buyers.

So you need to decide if paying $20 to get a possible refund of $30 is risk worth the risk of losing $50!

BUYER BEWARE ! --- check out the seller --- DON'T rely on Paypal offering much protection.

Highlighted
Contributor

But when sending the item back "with tracking" as they require, then it costs more than the item to send it back than the original cost of the item.  The last 2 issues I had cost $30 more than the item I bought ($50), so a total of $80 to send it back.  This incentivizes Chinese sellers to send the wrong items on purpose, because they know that American customers are not going to lose out more money to make a point.

Highlighted

Still going on 4/24/20.  bought from a store listed on google, store said it's located in california.  now i have to ship it to china?  pay $1000 for this scammers name.  Paypal is worthless, every opportunity you get get, bash it.  never use paypal again.