Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

China “sending wrong item” scam

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: China “sending wrong item” scam

I got scammed as well.  Item was supposed to be a Lightsaber "better" than any ultrasaber or anything from SaberForge.  Cost me $49.  (BTW they deleted the website that they advertised it on)  Good thing I at the very least copied all the wording on the sight describing what I was supposed to receive.....BUT...What I received was a 50 cent piece of junk plastic sword from a county fair dart balloon game.  I was told I have to return it and provide tracking in order to get my money back.  I looked up shipping it back to CHINA (back to this scam artist <removed> $86.  This is CRAP.  And all the seller has to do is say they never received it back and I NEVER get my money back.  This is FRAUD.  I will be cancelling my claim and going through my actual credit card company to have the charges reversed.   I am going to stop using Paypal because this is the Second time this has happened.  I am done with this big company NOT PROTECTING ITS CUSTOMERS.  

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Contributor

UPDATE:

So.  Paypal still wants me to send this 50 cent piece of junk back to China for a total of $86 in shipping costs to only receive back $49 for the original purchase.  Which is out of this world ridiculous.  I thought I could count on Paypal to solve this dispute and protect us customers from predatory sellers like the one that has scammed me, and MANY others.  I have researched the seller online and his company is responsible for countless fraud claims against them.  My wife is an attorney, and we are talking about opening another class action lawsuit against Paypal for not protecting their customers from proven fraudulent sellers.  (I say "again" because Paypal had this same suit against them in 2015.)  And for making their customers go above and beyond (and out of pocket) to get a fraction of what they spent on the item back or have to drop it all together because the refund does not match the out of pocket expenses to send the items back.  Paypal.  You will be hearing from me again.  I guarantee it.Wrong Lightsaber.jpg

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Jeffreykfackler 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Highlighted
Contributor

While I appreciate your help in the matter the $30 max that they will reimburse is not sufficient to the cost of the actual shipping of $86.  As you can see from the math 86-30 = 56, and 56-49 = 7.  I am still out of pocket 7 dollars just to send it back and after receiving the $49 refund.  Not worth the hassle of sending it back.  Once again, Paypal should discontinue this companies ability to use their platform as a seller.  Looking up their email and company name (which Paypal removed from my original post), they have been red flagged by over a hundred different pages that I have seen so far.  This company preys on people halfway across the globe and uses Paypal's policies to stump any would be buyer from being able to reclaim funds from a fraudulent sale.  The company (and Paypal), know that it is not worth it to send an item back to China that cost under $50.  Which is why they sell it at just under that price so that each buyer will just drop the case and that company gets to keep the $50, and they are only out $2 for shipping a 50 cent item.  Its a total scam and rip off that Paypal is responsible for not acting on and preventing this predatory practice from a known fraudulent company.Paypal return shipping 30 dollars.PNG

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@Jeffreykfackler 

Paypal do remove scam websites from China when enough folks make disputes against them BUT they just set up again with another name and start over.

The best thing to do is recognise and avoid them............

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Highlighted
Contributor

I'm going to be in Germany next week and I found that sending things to China isn't nearly as expensive once you're 1/2 way there.  $70 here to ship my junk back, $20 there.   I may try to send them their fakes and get my full refund.  Each time I email my company they agree to return another $10.  I'm up to $80 of the full $114.92  now.  I think I'm going to agree to take it and if they do refund me the $80, I'll agree to send them their merchandise for the other 34.92.  However, that's a lot of work for the additional $14 I'd net. 

Highlighted
Contributor

What I gotWhat I gotWhat I orderedWhat I ordered

What I received vs. what I ordered. Paypal's resolution: - Go **bleep** yourself

Highlighted
Contributor

Me, too. "Resolution Center" sided with the company that sent two ten cent paper face masks for $52 instead of the portable hot water heater I ordered from their website. What's the point of using PayPal if they don't protect their customers from scams like this? I thought that was the whole point of using them! Looking for a different online escrow company as we speak.

Highlighted
Contributor

I'm stuck battling this same scam right now for over 3 months. Now I have until tomorrow to put my return tracking information for a $1 paper dusk mask that was sent to me instead of the $65 item I ordered. It's impossible to reach PayPal by phone right now. There is no way to put additional information in the dispute console. The cost to ship back a $1 mask is $36. Even if I wanted to sent the item back, the address the seller provided me with is not correct and there is no way to enter it. I've tried over and over to get help on PayPal's Message Us platform but the agents just keep telling me to answer the dispute and supply the information requested. The information requested is return tracking number which would cost me $36.  This is one of dozens of forums threads I've found for this same scam.

Highlighted
Contributor

• April 25 - I ordered something from the https://canvasn.club/ in April with a cost of $67.38. Seller Info: Ming Chen
  • May 4th - After no item received and response from the seller, I filed a dispute with PayPal.
  • May 21st - The seller responded with a tracking number from China Post. The item I ordered was large in size, and the info on the shipping info said "Small Envelope / Packets".
  • June 10th - The item arrived. (Suspecting at this point that there might be fraud, I video taped myself receiving the package from the Post Office. I also took video of the package being opened.) This is what was sent to me:

paypal-wrong-item-return-scam copy.jpg

• June 15th - Changed my case from item not received to item not as described
  • June 18th - Seller responds with offer to refund $46 of the $68 I paid.
  • June 20th - I refuse the offer
  • July 5th - Seller makes another offer

What's the seller's offer?

The seller has agreed to issue a full refund for $67.38 USD. To receive this refund, you'll need to ship the item (s) back to the seller by July 15, 2020 at 11:51:10 PM PDT.Once the seller confirms the receipt of the item (s), we’ll process the refund to you and close this case. This case will be automatically closed if you don't respond on or before July 15, 2020 at 11:51:10 PM PDT.

• July 7th - July 14th - 8 phone call attempts which it's impossible to call in right now, and 10 emails conversations with PayPal support (they just keep spinning me in circles with pre-formatted responses)

"I understand your concern and I can see that your case is waiting for your response. I suggest that you can provide the documents and proofs that may help for the case to be resolved on your favor."

"I was able to see that the dispute case PP-D-6461XXX is under review. Please wait till the review is completed as we are investigating on the case."

• Today is July 14th - I have until 11pm on July 15th to provide a tracking number to show that I returned this item. The lowest cost envelope type shipping service available with tracking is USPS Priority International - Cost to return this item that I clearly did not order is $1 item with tracking:

• USPS Rates to Hong Kong.jpg

PAYPAL - The seller is using the United States Postal Service to commit this fraud which is a felony. If the seller makes a "mistake" and this was clearly no mistake, and sends the buyer the wrong item, why is it the buyer's responsibility to pay the shipping back? If it's the sellers mistake, the seller should pay for return shipping. I've signed up for your return shipping insurance but it doesn't help after the fact. This is clearly a scam, with dozens of threads and hundreds of reports of this happening,  you either are aware and are continuing to facilitate it, or you should be aware and should have taken steps to stop these types of disputes from getting this far which makes you negligent.