China “sending wrong item” scam

Starsky72
Contributor
Contributor

So....

1) item advertised on Facebook

2) You buy two of them, pay via PayPal $29.90

3) Item arrives, nothing like as described and is damaged

4) Seller offers small percentage as refund, I refuse.

5) Escalate the complaint in Paypal

5) PayPal state I need to send back, tracked, and the seller has to confirm delivery before a refund will be issued, before 4 January

6) Tracked postage costs more than I’d get in a refund

7) Seller wins..

I end up out of pocket with a broken item that is different in every way (size, materials, quality) from what I ordere, plus I ordered two and didn’t receive them

Paypal are allowing this scam to happen.  I should have lied and simply said I never eeceived it

Login to Me Too
171 REPLIES 171

Tlwosick
Contributor
Contributor
I'm having the same problem and they keep sending me different excuses why that can't refund me the money! Been going on for months! Poor quality merchandise and poor customer service experience.
Login to Me Too

efoandokro
Contributor
Contributor
I returned an item at hefty cost in similar circumstances In my case the package I returned arrived back 6 months later with a stamp from china and sticker saying the seller refused to accept the package Clearly sellers know the Paypal system and are milking it So even if you return it They will delay and refuse the item so that it will never show as delivered and they’ll hold out till the window for paypal to check it will expire In my case of course they don’t want their worthless rubbish back They want my money And Paypal is a willing agent If not by now paypal would have placed restrictions and special caveats on chinese sellers Additionally i think our in country consumer agencies and the police need to start taking down these shopify sites that claim to be located in various bonafide countries sometimes with address and phone (almost always bogus) to scam buyers
Login to Me Too

garpage88
Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant solution, I've just informed the scamming company that they will be responsible for shipping costs and left the ball in their court, they can either refund the price I paid initially or pay 2/3 more to have their item returned, lets see what they decide.

Login to Me Too

frogmom37
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal will tell you the return shipping is paid by you per the PayPal agreement. Sorry.
Login to Me Too

HammYY
Contributor
Contributor
Register with Paypal's 'return shipping on us' and you can claim return postage costs from Paypal upto 12 times a year and each return upto £15(UK).
Login to Me Too

TiffSpad
Contributor
Contributor

Ordered an ice cream maker from a Facebook ad for Rillmev, was sent a cheap juice mixer. Was waiting more than a month for product and the seller had never responded to any message. Scam,

Login to Me Too

Doesn't work with DISCOVER
Login to Me Too

softbear1
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a battery operated chainsaw through Facebook and when I got the product instead of a battery operated chainsaw they sent a chainsaw chain attached to 2 strips of web fabric. I contacted Paypal and open a dispute to get my money back and after almost 2 months of them messing around I'm told I have to ship the product back to them. We have a law in this country that says if a seller ships the wrong item we don't need to return the item. It costs more then the refund to ship a 5 oz item to China. It looks to me that Facebook doesn't care what they allow on their website and paypal don't care about supporting their customers either to allow a fraudulent company to demand a return or not get your money.  As for going through the cc for a chargeback what do you think paypal credit is going to do. Nothing ! I think we should all get together and bring up a class action lawsuit against Facebook. And also spread the word about the policy of Paypal. Another credit card company would investigate and then if it was found to be fraud would refund the charge. 

Login to Me Too

softbear1
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

Decided to contact paypal credit and see what they had to say. Great customer service from them unlike Paypal. They didn't take 2 months to tell me I had 10 days to get the item back to China. They refunded the amount back to my paypal acct within 5 minutes. Your best bet it going to the cc compalny to get something like this resolved since Paypal just has poor customer service.

Login to Me Too

ceg2029
Contributor
Contributor
Please, tell me if you do!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.